Headers, headers, HEADERS??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IDK for sure, I'm thinking it's offset to make room for the steering shaft and gearbox. I'd say torque but, most of those motors hardly made any, LOL
I thought maybe to correct CG for driver and a full tank of fuel. Or,,,,,,GM bean counters only wanting to spend on one stamp press for the front crossmember.

Lou32

Reaction score
Well, I would be surprised if this has not been covered, likely many times, but I can't find definitive info on it, plus sometimes get chastised for posting in older threads. So, here goes:

1994 GMC K1500 4x4 with 5.7 and 4L60e.

Do long tube headers fit?? I see and hear conflicting info on this, and due to circumstances it would be a real pain to buy them and find out they won't fit!!

What's a good cheap set if they fit? Before the quality hounds jump in, I've had great luck with cheap headers. My last set lasted 18 years on my 454 Blazer, in Mexico beach town use!

Also, I would really like to use long tubes, so trying to sell me on intermediates or shorties would be wasted effort.

Thanks!!

Vettepilot
I have a 1990 k1500 and a month ago I installed Hedman long tube headers and dual exhaust. They fit like a dream and was cake to install. Seriously. The exhaust takes ingenuity but I had an experienced shop do it and its worked great. I’m away from home for a week but when I get back I’m going to post about it along with pictures.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Basically, headers help most anything, if the rest of the exhaust is done right as well. On lower performance builds, the gains might be modest, but they exist. The sound is a nice bonus.

Getting the exhaust out of the engine efficiently is never a bad thing, and doing it "better" is just a good thing to do in any case. Even the OEM's have trended to better exhaust systems over older "log manifold", horrid designs.

On my '87 Corvette, as most people know, the TPI induction system is designed to max out at a lowly 4500 rpms. Still, the car has a form of "headers" installed, from the factory. The point being, an efficient exhaust is good even for a low rpm engine.

Vettepilot
My 1980 C3 had OEM tubular style manifolds as well, probably very close in design to the ones on your C4.

Some of the 4.3Ls and SBCs in the 80s in trucks and vans also had tubular manifolds similar to shorties.

My 83 G20 had factory "headers" on the stock 305 and was born with 2.5" catless duals. Ran very well for a 305. This is a SBC truck OE style tubular manifold.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long time ago I considered headers. ( '88 C2500 350 V8 stock ).....

I worked with a few NHRA racers & their suppliers......Including header manufacturers.
Headers? Unless you have modified your performance .... Do Not Waste Your Money.
Unless you like the different sound it creates, or they look 'cool' under the hood.

If that is what you want to tell yourself. A good set of long tubes is worth as much as 50 ft/lbs of torque on the most basic SBC and the bulk of the gains are in the low-midrange RPM where you are running the engine most. I am actually already considering removing the Hooker 2.5" outlet manifolds I put on the budget L31 build in the 87 G20. Can get a very nicely built set of Schoenfelds that look like they will fit the G-van nicely. That engine is missing a chunk of torque that I know headers will deliver.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will also add this when it comes to headers. I put a set of Hedman 1-5/8 primary, 2.5" collector long tubes on a 1994 G20 van with a 305 TBI. 2.5" pipes to a dual 2.5" inlet, single 3" outlet catalytic converter, kept the stock 3" tubing and swapped the OE muffler for a 3" long case Magnaflow. That 305 started breathing so well I had to put 350 injectors in the TBI unit to keep the narrowband 02 from reading low double digit milivolts (lean) and I also ended up later tuning it. That TBI 305 also made more torque to the tires than my stock L31 350 in my 97 Express made and only 7 hp less. The 200K mile 305 ended up making more hp and tq to the wheels than it was factory rated at the crankshaft.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will also add this when it comes to headers. I put a set of Hedman 1-5/8 primary, 2.5" collector long tubes on a 1994 G20 van with a 305 TBI. 2.5" pipes to a dual 2.5" inlet, single 3" outlet catalytic converter, kept the stock 3" tubing and swapped the OE muffler for a 3" long case Magnaflow. That 305 started breathing so well I had to put 350 injectors in the TBI unit to keep the narrowband 02 from reading low double digit milivolts (lean) and I also ended up later tuning it. That TBI 305 also made more torque to the tires than my stock L31 350 in my 97 Express made and only 7 hp less. The 200K mile 305 ended up making more hp and tq to the wheels than it was factory rated at the crankshaft.
I like the square ports on those headers,price ain't bad either. Wonder if they'd fit my 2WD 1/2 ton. I went to the Summit site and they listed those for F and G body passenger cars.

Moleman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a set of hooker long tubes for 2wd they bang around on the frame on the passenger side and the mount for the upper control arm.

On the driver's side the 02 sensor hits the floor but you can drop it in from the top on the drivers.