Affordable Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@kennythewelder, How often do you change out the platinum plugs?
Not very. Platinum plugs are good for 100,000 miles. I guess the last time I changed my plugs was about 2 or 3 years ago I guess, when I broke one fooling with the headers. I was doing some exhaust work at the time. I don't wait that long, but as long as my truck is running good, and I know I am under 50,000 miles, why bother. I do run AC Delco plugs. I have tried iridium plugs before, and did not find them to be any better than the OE AC Delco Platinum, at least in these trucks any way. Be it rite or wrong, its just what I choose to do.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll pass on the zip ties. I'm digging this look alot more. This is the slickest center bolt cover wire loom setup I have found.
You must be registered for see images attach
Sweet,,,,Man I could make some of those.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
@kennythewelder
Did you have any leaks at the collector where it bolts up?

I bought and installed some summit shorties and I know I have a leak I just don't have time right now to chase it and fix it, but it sounds like it might be coming from the collector? After reading this I might want to swap out my gaskets as well.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@kennythewelder
Did you have any leaks at the collector where it bolts up?

I bought and installed some summit shorties and I know I have a leak I just don't have time right now to chase it and fix it, but it sounds like it might be coming from the collector? After reading this I might want to swap out my gaskets as well.
That was my biggest issue with these headers. I smashed one of the tapered flange that mates up to the exhaust manifold. I fought this trying different things. The thing I did that worked and has held up for a few years, was to move the exhaust pipe out of the way. Then I took a ball ping hammer, and smashed the soft metal upwords to form a cup. I went to auto zone and bought 2 steel donut gaskets for a 1972 chevy truck with a 350. It took some tweeking to get that cup to fit the steel donut gaskets, but once I did, it has never leaked again. Once I reinstalled the exhaust pipe, and try flange, with the steel donut gaskets I tightened the hell out of them. I used some grade 8 bolts and nuts, so that I could torque the hell out of them with a ratchet. I also tried to keep each bolt even as I tightened them down. The donut gaskets fit the taper in the exhaust pipe perfectly. You could always get an extra steel donut gasket and use it as a pattern to form the cup in the header .

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is the part that I smashed upwords, and formed a cup, as best as I could. I did this without removing the headers. I did also use a pair of pliers some to get things started as I need to. This part is soft and easy to bend.
You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
98 Money Pit