Affordable Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The Summit shorties are reboxed Pacesetters. I just ordered and received a set. They were in a big Summit box with the Pacesetter box inside that.
I can second that. I have shorty headers on my truck i bought last month from summit. Pacesetter box wrapped in a summit box.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hooker makes one. Was not impressed with the quality of them but they did seal up great using OEM Vortec exhaust gaskets. The flanges were thinner than I would have liked coming from Thorleys on everything. Still better flanges than Flowtech though. I used steel headers and wrapped them to keep the heat out of the engine compartment and help keep the exhaust velocity high which helps scavenging.

JBA also makes a full length T409 stainless header. They will lightly surface rust but as I mention ZERO issues with their shorties on my 4.7 Dakota in the past 7 years. I had to change the gaskets once but that is only because I pulled the engine after breaking a valve spring and munching an intake valve.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jba-6830s
I have heard the quality is 50/50 on JBA and returning them is a crap fest. I was looking a JBA titanium coating and silver ceramic which of those do you suggest? Is Pacesetter any good? Do you have Thorley's on your truck? Anyone hear good things about Patriot coated headers?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have heard the quality is 50/50 on JBA and returning them is a crap fest. I was looking a JBA titanium coating and silver ceramic which of those do you suggest? Is Pacesetter any good? Do you have Thorley's on your truck? Anyone hear good things about Patriot coated headers?

Do not have Thorleys on a truck, but I have had them on two different GM vans.

I never have sought out coated headers although the first set of Thorleys where nickelchrome coated and the second set was a modern coating. In my experience regardless of the coating it will eventually burn off.

I bought the JBA headers for my 4.7 back in 2009 when it was in a 2006 Ram. They sat in my closet for 6 months in the box. I ended up Hemi swapping my Ram. They worked with me 6 months later without a receipt to swap the driverside header for the correct header for my Dakota when I put the 4.7 from the Ram into the Dakota. They were out of stock at the time and had to build more. Took them 2 weeks to get it exchanged but the process was very hassle free. I called them, explained what was going on and they took care of me, zero questions asked.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do not have Thorleys on a truck, but I have had them on two different GM vans.

I never have sought out coated headers although the first set of Thorleys where nickelchrome coated and the second set was a modern coating. In my experience regardless of the coating it will eventually burn off.

I bought the JBA headers for my 4.7 back in 2009 when it was in a 2006 Ram. They sat in my closet for 6 months in the box. I ended up Hemi swapping my Ram. They worked with me 6 months later without a receipt to swap the driverside header for the correct header for my Dakota when I put the 4.7 from the Ram into the Dakota. They were out of stock at the time and had to build more. Took them 2 weeks to get it exchanged but the process was very hassle free. I called them, explained what was going on and they took care of me, zero questions asked.
Wow, i just found out that Patriot makes JBA.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow, i just found out that Patriot makes JBA.

JBA was once owned by Pertronix, not sure if that is still the case.

EDIT-I just checked and they still are.

http://www.pertronix.com/

From what I have heard Dougs headers and Doug Thorley headers build their stuff the same. Not sure where I read this but the story went something along the lines of one is the new business after the ex-wife got the first business in the divorice. Atleast that is what I read a number of years back.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to try out Pacesetter coated headers. They are sold by LMC and I figure they ar e a good enough endorsement. Then I found some nice $310 heads that I may buy and be done for awhile.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to try out Pacesetter coated headers. They are sold by LMC and I figure they ar e a good enough endorsement. Then I found some nice $310 heads that I may buy and be done for awhile.
Sense Pacesetters are the same as Summit, I will say this. I have been very happy with mine. My flanges are 3/8 thick that bolt to the heads. I have no leaks, and they have been on my truck for a long time. Maybe 3 years or so, IDK. I did fight with mine at first, but some good header bolts, and I used Felpro header gaskets, just FYI.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A word of warning about Pacesetter...

The V6 models aren't cut properly on the flanges. I found out the hard way that they wouldn't clear the CTS. Called Pacesetter, even sent them pictures. They wouldn't acknowledge that there was a problem at all. Terrible customer service. My mechanic cut a small notch to clearance the flanges and they went on fine after that. Not real thrilled about having to hack on a brand new set of headers after the company refused to help me, though.

The V8 models are probably fine as I haven't seen anyone complain about them.