Affordable Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
That's kind of been a debate that people always go back and forth on. I've been told the same, then the vice versa, then the worthiness of install goes Stock Manifold << Shorties << Mid Length << Long Tubes. I just get LT because that's what I've used on all my truck applications in the past and don't care to change it up now. I'm sure somewhere lurking around is someone with dyno graphs and other factual information on the matter.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's kind of been a debate that people always go back and forth on. I've been told the same, then the vice versa, then the worthiness of install goes Stock Manifold << Shorties << Mid Length << Long Tubes. I just get LT because that's what I've used on all my truck applications in the past and don't care to change it up now. I'm sure somewhere lurking around is someone with dyno graphs and other factual information on the matter.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
The Shorty vs Long Tube starts a 15:05, but its interesting. I know this is a big block but its still somewhat valid in my opinion.

59Pete

Reaction score
Im not sure what part of Iowa you are from , but I have a perfect used set of Hedmans for a small block that Id sell. Were on the truck for a week or so.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm running Summit shortys, and they are $200. I like the low end torque they provide. If you get them, here is waht you need to know. First off, the paint them is on them, will burn off quick, so you need to strip that off and repaint them with some VHT header paint. Follow the directions on the can, and it will last for years. Also the gaskets suck, so get some Felpro headers gaskets,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9016/applications

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is a video on exhaust pipe size. on a 350 with about 340 HP

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running Summit shortys, and they are $200. I like the low end torque they provide. If you get them, here is waht you need to know. First off, the paint them is on them, will burn off quick, so you need to strip that off and repaint them with some VHT header paint. Follow the directions on the can, and it will last for years. Also the gaskets suck, so get some Felpro headers gaskets,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9016/applications
I
I’ve watched that a lot, I don’t think bio go 3 inch maybe 2.75. 409 grade pipe, and emissions free set up. I will most likely get coated headers for the drop in temps.
Im not sure what part of Iowa you are from , but I have a perfect used set of Hedmans for a small block that Id sell. Were on the truck for a week or so.
South East Iowa around Ottumwa.

Where would I have heard that Long tune headers are for high end?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I
I’ve watched that a lot, I don’t think bio go 3 inch maybe 2.75. 409 grade pipe, and emissions free set up. I will most likely get coated headers for the drop in temps.
South East Iowa around Ottumwa.

Where would I have heard that Long tune headers are for high end?

All the dyno data I have seen shows that shorty headers help the most up top, but long tubes provide a broader, flatter torque curve. I prefer Tri-y headers. Tri-Ys help more in the mid-top end range but that is where you need it for accelerating uphill, passing or towing.

That also being said the stock 5.7 Vortec Express vans had 3" dual piping from the manifolds to the cats and the cats to the muffler. I never found it lacking in torque, even stock.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All the dyno data I have seen shows that shorty headers help the most up top, but long tubes provide a broader, flatter torque curve. I prefer Tri-y headers. Tri-Ys help more in the mid-top end range but that is where you need it for accelerating uphill, passing or towing.

That also being said the stock 5.7 Vortec Express vans had 3" dual piping from the manifolds to the cats and the cats to the muffler. I never found it lacking in torque, even stock.
I think you got that backwords. But don't take my word for it, just watch the video

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is the info on your try y headers

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you got that backwords. But don't take my word for it, just watch the video

I do not! I saw a big header comparison on the same 350 Vortec engine about 10 years ago. Same primary diameter. Same collector diameter. Only difference was short vs long. Same exhaust piping and mufflers were used as well. The shorties had a very narrow rpm band in the 4,500-5,000 rpm range they out performed the long tubes. The long tubes did better everywhere else. Both were massive improvements over the stock 2 1/4" outlet log style truck manifolds.

I pulled BBK equal length shorties off my mildly cammed 5.7 Hemi Ram and ran long tubes with the same primary size. I had picked up nearly 3 tenths with the shorties in the 1/8th. I picked up nearly 4 tenths more with the long tubes. Using the same 2.5" to single 3.5" exhaust system and same muffler. I had already deleted the cats prior to removing the OEM manifolds. I hained power everywhere in the powerband and ran nearly 2 mph quicker through the traps.