98 k1500 stock cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary98K1500

Reaction score
I've got the 5.7 vortec 350, just was wondering if I have the hydraulic roller or the flat tappet cam?

Thanks

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its all about lifters, the flat tappet lifters and flat bottomed and just sit flat on the cam lobe, the rollers have a wheel that sits on the cam lobe and rolls as the cam turns. you want to match the what kind of lifter the cam was ground for with what you're using, otherwise you might have problems, heres a picture to illustrate why you don't want to use a flat tappet lifter on a roller cam:

You must be registered for see images

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Roller tappet cams build up NOWHERE near the friction that flat tappet cams do, they generally require higher spring pressures, and have more aggressive lobe ramp rates/intensities.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Yes, your engine has a small, tame roller cam in it. All of the vortec 5.7 engines are roller cam/lifter equipped.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
alright thanks, how big of a cam can the vortec fuel system handle, ive seen people throw random numbers around but i want to know a definite answer because i want to add a cam but dont want to over welm my spider poppet system