98 k1500 stock cam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats the difference between mechined and hydraulic roller tappet?

are you talking about the difference between a hydraulic roller and solid roller lifter?

RHamill said:
Does the Hydraulic roller have a different idle than the flat tappet cam? Slower? Faster? Lopey-er?

the idle characteristics are mostly in the cam and tune, not really the lifter, for most intents and purposes you can grind a cam (along with tuning) for whatever characteristics you want regardless of lifter style. and the idle speed is in the tune and cam, different cam grinds will idle better at different RPMs, and keeping the idle at such an RPM is commanded by the PCM.

rollers will yield lower friction, and lower wear, and you are able to grind the cam lobe profiles much more agressively than a flat tappet.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
i have no idea what im asking, im starting to pick out a cam and under summitracing they have all these different options and i want to make sure im looking for the right one

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah look for a hydraulic roller cam, thats what your truck uses

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine is a ZZ4 cam, the specs are listed in post #17 of this thread.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as was stated earlier in this thread, the problems and limitations with a cam change are in the spring and retainer clearances NOT injection, on an otherwise stock motor you WILL NOT exceed the injector limits with only a cam change. if you do more than just a cam change then it is possible.

I do not run the stock injection though, but that is not because of the cam alone.

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
as was stated earlier in this thread, the problems and limitations with a cam change are in the spring and retainer clearances NOT injection, on an otherwise stock motor you WILL NOT exceed the injector limits with only a cam change. if you do more than just a cam change then it is possible.

I do not run the stock injection though, but that is not because of the cam alone.

Also if you go too agressive with a cam you may start to have problems with your pistons comming up to fast on your valves. like so
You must be registered for see images attach