98 GMC K2500 454 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
UPDATE TIME!

The new TPS and CTS are on, still haven't had time to do the 02's or the Rag Joint yet. Also had to replace the thermostat and the belt tensioner (it would walk a 1/4" side to side when running).

My lovely GF also gave her old phone so I can have one dedicated solely to running Torque while driving, so very handy rather than having to take mine and set it up all the time.

You must be registered for see images attach

And made a small oopsie a few days ago, went out to start the truck before work one morning to let it warm up and was greeted with a not so nice groaning from the PS pump. It was bone dry.......I've filled it back up with fluid and I'm keeping an eye on it, but it still makes a whining noise, although not as bad, but I'm sure it's on its way out. It's actually quite difficult to find a pump that is compliant with the JD7 Hydroboost brake code, every parts store around here is special order and will take a week to get here.

So in expectation of replacing the pump and all the hoses (which is where all the fluid leaked out), I went to the junkyard today and picked up a power steering cooler. Although probably not needed, it does give me some peace of mind and hey I'll be in there replacing everything anyway, no better time to do it.

Also found this little gem today

And this guy to go along with it

Both of them need a good scrub down but no biggie, I was psyched to finally find a 411 PCM, the main junkyard I go to always pulls all the LS engines and computers together to sell them, so the motor in the truck I pulled this from must have been blown or something. Now to just PM Lextech and get this baby installed :) EFI Live anyone??

I love this truck! Really makes me want to narrow my search to a K2500

Sent while pulling out a Ford

dr_goodwrench66

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll be amazed the new found power with EFI Live. The timing curve on these trucks is embarrassing. It sure woke mine up!

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Ahhh the oil cooler lines have finally decided to leak, thanks GM for that lovely design :flipthebird:

Does anyone know what the fittings on those lines are? Looking at getting custom ones made as the general consensus is the replacement ones are all crap.

Also, how do the lines disconnect coming out of the block, maybe I'm having a brain fart but I can't figure it out.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the fittings on those lines are? Looking at getting custom ones made as the general consensus is the replacement ones are all crap.

Also, how do the lines disconnect coming out of the block, maybe I'm having a brain fart but I can't figure it out.

Some guys have gotten the OEM lines rebuilt with new hose. That's probably the cheapest good way to go. The more expensive way would be to get custom lines built. The block side would need to be AN, and I have no idea what the radiator side is called, but it's got orings in it.

In order to connect the AN side to the block you would need a special adapter/connector. The block itself is pipe thread, but you can't go directly to that becasue you still need the baffle in one of the holes, or you will have no circulation through the oil cooler. https://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-dickey-parts-center/sd1540

I just disconnected my oil cooler...... cheapest simplest solution. I don't tow much, and when I do it's pretty light, so I'm not worried about it.

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I could drive another 454 with EFI live. I went the black bear performance route and I am impressed but it still "off" like it should have more power or something.

I am half tempted to pay for someone with similar mods and gears and the 454 EFI live setup to get a dyno done and then do one myself to compare. Good luck! I love your thread.

Oh, almost forgot. What is the advantage to the GM HD ignition you put on?