95 to 88-89 headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, should have pointed out the 92 had a 94-up grille (OEM) on it. Here's a pic where I was testing how I liked the look - quads on passenger side, composite on driver's. This is while I was rebuilding the truck from being stolen/stripped.

You must be registered for see images attach

When I say I've done something I'm pretty much never talking out of my a$$ but I may slip up and forget a little detail or two, every now and then. :gr_grin:

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Did not have that experience when trying out 88-89 quads on my '92 Chevy. Didn't like how they looked vs. composite so I took them right back off, but the grille fit fine. Were you trying with an OEM grille or aftermarket? I seem to very vaguely recall a local guy (FSC member) that had mentioned some kind of trouble fitting an aftermarket GMC grille onto 88-89 quads.

It's worth noting that outside of the U.S. market, some GMT400's came with quad lamps all the way to the end of the generation. Australia is one of those markets. The 94-up ran the same grille our 94-98 trucks had, just with quads (different lens than U.S. because of different auto lighting standards, but same quad setup) instead of composites.

Richard

Richard hit the nail on the head here. The other markets utilizing ECE headlights (europe and austrailia) had vehicles with the quad headlights and Bosch made glass lenses. Notice how all the GM grilles have the "Step" where the quad headlights are? There is no reason a factory grille should need cut to fit these, GM wouldn't have done that. Is it possible that your grille was aftermarket and not factory? In my experience aftermarket grilles fit like junk on these trucks.

For reference, 94+ style chevy grille with the ECE quad headlights. The Holden emblem simply bolts over the bowtie location (same grille shell)
You must be registered for see images

If we want to test this theory, Devin (83GMCK2500) might just have to pull his grille off and put the OEM grille off my silverado on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
From what I saw in the pic, the cut isn't where the 'steps' are, but at the upper corner lens - I guess the low beam or its bracket protrudes a little into the corner lens area of the grille, requiring a cut next to the mounting holes for the lens. Can't remember if my OEM grille was cut there or not, hadn't had the lenses out of it since I replaced them with APC clears back in like, 2000. :) I slapped an Esky front end on it afterwards, and when rebuilding it, just put the Chevy grille with whatever OEM stuff was on it back on the truck and sold it.

Richard

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
& embarrass mah purdy truck in the process?
I didn't say ford grille.....

From what I saw in the pic, the cut isn't where the 'steps' are, but at the upper corner lens - I guess the low beam or its bracket protrudes a little into the corner lens area of the grille, requiring a cut next to the mounting holes for the lens. Can't remember if my OEM grille was cut there or not, hadn't had the lenses out of it since I replaced them with APC clears back in like, 2000. :) I slapped an Esky front end on it afterwards, and when rebuilding it, just put the Chevy grille with whatever OEM stuff was on it back on the truck and sold it.

Richard
The step I was referring to is the portion under the lights, so there wouldn't' be a hole where the lights are set back in the grille.

I seriously can't imagine a OEM grille would need trimming to fit those lights, considering GM did this exact thing with the export models.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ill do it this weekend and report back

sent from my outdated S3