89 GMC Sierra Daily Driver Build. R/C, Step Side, 2wd.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Dude, you got a regular cab shortbox with a 350 that runs for what dime a dozen extended cab long/shortboxes go for all clapped out & rusty. Well done. I love the red interior too. Dislikes are the automagical transmission & lack of cargo light. I'd do what you're doing; it runs too good to tear it apart so enjoy it for what it is. LS schmell-s. "Woo it's faster" Speed limit still be speed limit though.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck on a 3.0 hour round trip to pick up an ls for the green truck... The truck really has been more than about 15 minutes from my house, so it was good letting it stretch it's legs out. It was roughly 160 miles and used about 8 gallons of gas (about 20mpg.) A lot of that was back roads (55-60), so I think that helped... I still want to sell it and get a quad cab... I am going to pretty it up a bit first.

I'm hoping to get the bumper off the green truck today or tomorrow, and get it tossed on the black truck.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I meant to pull the rear bumper off the green one, and put it on this truck today, but got busy doing other stuff. I’m also going to be scouting market place for a cheap hit for this truck. I figured I might as well use it while I’m fixing it up...

I also got a clunking noise, pretty sure it’s a joking. Pretty sure the driveshaft from the green truck will work in the black truck, so I’ll just go the easy route and slap that in for now. Also, the alternator isn’t charge right, and an idle (while in gear with the brake on), if the heater, headlights, and wipers are on, it’ll flash the battery light.

I have the motor and trans from the green truck sold, but before it goes I’m taking the starter and alternator off.

don’t swap driveshafts. Keep the original one. U joints are easy to do. Just mark the driveshaft when you remove it. Besides you may not know the shape the other driveshaft is in.
Use new bolts or make sure you loctite and torque your old ones. I would just use new bolts.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve swapped a million or so u joints. I really want to watch how much money I put into this truck as I’m planning on selling it this spring. I can swap the Drive shaft in 10 mins and it’ll cost me zero monies... I’m hoping to spend 150ish on rust repair, and 300ish on paint and prep, and maybe 100ish on the interior. Hopefully that will get me 3000-3500ish out of the truck.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been snowing/sleeting with temps struggling to get out of the teens, so I'm feeling lazy when it comes to working on trucks.... but I did order a oil change from auto zone, so as soon as it warms up I'll get that done... I'm going to bundle up tomorrow and give it a quick vac and wipe down and toss some floor mats in it. Might try yanking off the crappy roll pan while I'm at it.... Only another month or so of this crap, hopefully.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I had a clunking noise coming from the front of the truck. I was pretty sure it was a ball joint (that’s what it sounded like), but the front end was sold... as I was looking under the truck from the drivers side, I noticed a big chunk of steak plate bolted to the inside of the passenger frame under the door area... my uncle was on the passenger side, and pointed it out to him, and asked if the outside of the frame was rusted... he said it wasn’t, then pointed over to my side and said “your side is the same way.” I looked around, but the frame wasn’t rusted, but then I started a little kink.. the truck had been wrecked and they heated the frame up, bent it back straight’ish, and bolted in the plate to reinforce it... ugh

at that point I was sick, and done with this truck. I called my buddy who was looking for a cheap beater and told him to come look it over... he checked it out and said he’d give me 600 for it, which meant about a 600 dollar loss in the truck, but I wanted to wash my hands of it...

I think he’s going to drive it for a bit, and then probably part it out...

stupid truck...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear it.

So lately the forum is 0/2 on "Great auction deals!"

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interior pics from auction.

You must be registered for see images attach

Well, that sucks...Why would anyone put a FORD radio in it? LOL. I think that was pretty funny!

Cheap Heap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bummer.

Frame and rust are the #1 things to look for on these trucks. Everything else is nut and bolt, easy to replace.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a bummer.

Frame and rust are the #1 things to look for on these trucks. Everything else is nut and bolt, easy to replace.

I concur. I looked at the frame before leaving the auction house, but you couldnt really tell anything but looking at the outside of the frame rails. They looked nice and rust free... But yesterday when I say the plates on the inside of the frame rails, I knew it was effed...

I go through cars and trucks like crazy, you can't win on them all, and it was about time I lost on one... No tears here, I'll just move onto the next one.