89 GMC Sierra Daily Driver Build. R/C, Step Side, 2wd.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I originally bought this truck to LSX swap it... I bought the truck from an online auction that was about 45 minutes away from me.

They had a couple of days were you could go check out what you were bidding on, but the truck was only at a couple of hundred bucks, so I decided to buy it regardless...

Of course, the last day of the auction, the price shot up... and I realized my mistake of not going to check out the truck in person. I wanted the truck, but I was starting to bid decent money on a truck I haven't test drove, let alone seen in person....

In the last couple of hours of the auction, the truck jumped up to around 800 bucks... I gave it a lot of thought, and decided I wanted the truck, and was willing to go to around 1200 bucks, and I would eat crow if it turned out to be junk.

I ended up winning the truck for 1,225 including the auction fees... ah damn...

Here was the auction description:

350 V8 engine -2 wheel drive -115,226 miles -cold AC -aluminum wheels -16" tires -runs & drives -CLEAR TITLE IN HAND

You must be registered for see images attach

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that's what I was bidding on.

A few days after the auction was "pick up day." I was pretty nervous... I paid for the truck and went and gave it a gander... As I was laying under the truck to check out the frame, an old man stopped and asked if I bought the truck. We got to talking and he was friends with the previous owner (small rural town.) He said the guy had the truck used it around the farm, then gave it to his grandson. The grandson "fixed up the truck" as seen in the pic. Crappy roll pan install, spray foam in the rockers/cab corners covered with bondo, and topped with a ultra crappy single stage metallic (I'm guess a Maaco job?) Needs to say, the truck looked pretty rough, but ran really well and everything worked (ICE COLD A/C!)

The frame was in excellent condition, truck ran and drove great, it was just ugly...

I HATED the wheels on the truck. A buddy of mine offered to trade me a set of staggered rallies for them, so I did that... The rally wheels needed tires, so that's when I robbed the green truck of it's wheels and tires (see that build thread.) So right now I'm rocking some steel wheels on it with some hubcaps (Yeah Baby!)

Once I get those rallies painted, I'll switch the tires from the steel wheels to the rallies and toss them on this truck (confused yet.)

here's how the truck looks with the hubbies.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So that's where we are at right now. So what are my plans for the truck?

Well, like I said.... I originally bought the truck to LS swap, but the truck runs and drives to good to rip apart... plus I got the green truck to swap now.

So the new plans are just to clean it and use it as a daily driver/work truck. I'd like to find a nice red 60/40 seat for it. I also want to fix a few things like the broken astray, the crappy door pull straps, etc. Just get the interior looking clean, not really looking to "mod" the interior any.

The exterior I want to replace the cab corners and rockers, and then do a scuff and shoot paint job on it. Just a single stage, nothing fancy, and nothing expensive. The truck was originally red, they did paint the jams and under the hood, but didn't prep it very wheel and it's flaking off in spots.... I'm undecided if I want to go back to the red, stay black, or paint it white... I also wouldn't mind trading the step side bed for a fleetside bed.

Wheels: I got a set of rallies for it, once I get those painted I'll get the tires switch over and toss them on.

Suspension: I think a 2/4 drop would be perfect for this truck.

I'm hoping to not put more than about 1000 more bucks into this truck.... Let's see how that goes.

BruiserCruiser

I'm Awesome
Reaction score