88GMCtruck's never ending 88 GMC build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
This truck has always been one of my favorites. Like Ive mentioned before, one of the only Reg cab Stepsides Ive seen with tows. And then a camper shell to boot. I have the shell for mine but it is full fiberglass, no windows. And reading over this has my finger on the purchase button for some tows for mine. Loving the roof marker lights.

Im also wanting to do the SAS and then later on probably the 454 like you did as well. I will keep these favorited for future reference!
Yeah I've said it before the towing mirrors are nice, great to see out of, but IMO just too big for this style truck. Only reason I run them is the trailer, otherwise they would be history.

I saw a picture of your truck with the topper on it some time ago. I have a love hate realtionship with mine... it's really convenient when the weather is crud... you can throw bags, firewood, camp stuff or the dog there without them getting soaked.... but at the same time it makes it a pain to get into my toolbox, it a nightmare to see out of, and i don't entirely care for the look of it.

do you have any more pics of the exhaust? more specifically, the tailpipes? wanted the yukon tails to exit like that but my muffler guy said it wouldn't work.
I'm not sure an SUV could pull this off, or even just another stock truck. I have a custom hitch, shackle flip and no frame mounted spare tire.

Tips
You must be registered for see images attach

Driver's side

Passenger Side

Where the back splits to the sides

Driver's side from motor

Passenger side from motor

Crossover at t-case to mufflers and out to tails

I say show rig, it is so well built, i'd hate to see it wrecked in the dunes or crawling
Well, it'd more likely be wrecked crawling than in the dunes, although anything is fixable. I've been leaning towards show rig, just because of the sentimental value it has to me.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AirmanSkee

This truck has always been one of my favorites. Like Ive mentioned before, one of the only Reg cab Stepsides Ive seen with tows. And then a camper shell to boot. I have the shell for mine but it is full fiberglass, no windows. And reading over this has my finger on the purchase button for some tows for mine. Loving the roof marker lights.

Im also wanting to do the SAS and then later on probably the 454 like you did as well. I will keep these favorited for future reference!

Yeah I've said it before the towing mirrors are nice, great to see out of, but IMO just too big for this style truck. Only reason I run them is the trailer, otherwise they would be history.

I saw a picture of your truck with the topper on it some time ago. I have a love hate realtionship with mine... it's really convenient when the weather is crud... you can throw bags, firewood, camp stuff or the dog there without them getting soaked.... but at the same time it makes it a pain to get into my toolbox, it a nightmare to see out of, and i don't entirely care for the look of it.

Originally Posted by 1ugly88

do you have any more pics of the exhaust? more specifically, the tailpipes? wanted the yukon tails to exit like that but my muffler guy said it wouldn't work.

I'm not sure an SUV could pull this off, or even just another stock truck. I have a custom hitch, shackle flip and no frame mounted spare tire.

Tips

Driver's side

Passenger Side

Where the back splits to the sides

Driver's side from motor

Passenger side from motor

Crossover at t-case to mufflers and out to tails

Originally Posted by ndians68

I say show rig, it is so well built, i'd hate to see it wrecked in the dunes or crawling

Well, it'd more likely be wrecked crawling than in the dunes, although anything is fixable. I've been leaning towards show rig, just because of the sentimental value it has to me.

Yeah I wish I would have kept mine but I sold it. When I get home I will probably ask you some more questions. How much money did you have in the SAS total?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Your truck has come a long way, very nice! What dunes do you go to?
Coos Bay & Winchester Bay in Oregon. We have a few small dunes here in WA as well, Juniper and Moses Lake. They aren't that exciting for a truck though.

Yeah I wish I would have kept mine but I sold it. When I get home I will probably ask you some more questions. How much money did you have in the SAS total?
When I first completed it I was at $4,200 with $1,400 of that being wheels and tires. Since then the only costs i would consider added are that I've re-geared, upgraded the rear axle and converted the front to 8-lug.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yup... and thats where my questions will be coming in haha There are alot of places to pull the parts and an abundance of them up in Alaska so I should be fine. Thanks for the help, I will get out of your hair for now. :patriot:

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahhh, the shackle flip, i forgot about that. that seems like it will correct the interference i'm having with my tails. thanks.

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the shackle flip definitely changes the routing quire a bit, so can the spare and hitch too.

spare is long gone. my biggest problem was figuring out how to get the pipe between the frame and the spring without it showing real bad or smashing it with the suspension. i think this will do nicely cause i HATE looking at tailpipes and dumps are too loud inside the body of the yukon. thanks a bunch man!!! still my favorite OBS ever.