88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Newdude

Reaction score
Thanks! Nothing was modified about the caps, although you have to use the lug covers from a GMT800 vehicle as they are longer. The GMT400 ones don't reach.

Ah so thats the ticket. And I bought a bunch of GMT-400 caps. Thanks for the info sir!

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just read the entire thread myself. I contemplated getting a 6.5L Diesel GMT400, but had a tough time finding one that wasn't either rotted out or 200+k+ miles and whupped. I settled on my 1996 K2500 with a 5.7L/4L80E (hope it wouldn't get horrible mileage that a 7.4L truck gets). It has no rust, but had a dead cylinder. I pulled the motor and started rebuilding it (can't find time to finish it). I plan to do a set of PYO wheels as well. I'd really like to put a DMAX in it, but not into spending the big coin to do it right now.

Glad to see you got a decent truck. I like that color too.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
As much as it saddens me to say it, the 99 is for sale.

Why you ask? First off, owning 3 trucks is much more difficult than one might think. I've lately been working a ton and trying to lower my bills so I can save up and buy a house. The simple fact of the matter is this truck was the last one to come into my stable and therefore the first to go as I have less attachement to it. Sure it's more practical in the fact that it's a 3/4ton, longbox extended cab, but the 88 and the 02 have more sentimental value to me. The 02 is still practically brand new (it has 35k on it currently) so getting rid of it would be kinda pointless. And I've put too much effort and money into the 88.

So, I've removed a few items I planned to keep: Toolbox, compressor, airbags and mirrors all came off. I put the mirrors back on the 88.

We'll see if I have any takers on it. If it doesn't sell for a good price then I might end up keeping it, who knows.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Yeah I saw the link you posted on fb. Sad, but I can only imagine insurance and tags for 3 full size trucks for a 25 year old male. Good luck with the sale and maybe the new owner will join here and stick around!

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Sad day. Don't you ever get rid of that 88 though! Or if you do atleast have an auction for just us! Haha

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Welp, the time has come.

After removing a few key mods i wanted to keep (mirrors, toolbox, compressor, airbags) and giving it a final cleaning, the 99 went up for sale. I have hardly used it since I moved, and since I've been trying to save money for other things, I decided it was better to let this one go.

Today, 99 has left my fleet to to live on in another life. A nice guy bought the truck for his daughter to take to college where she'll be studying agg ed. They own a few GMT400 trucks already, all gas 1/2tons though.

I'm sad to see it go, I hope it is treated well by the new owners and serves them well. I can honestly say the truck left me in much better shape than I received it in, and I'm glad to have given it a new purpose.

So ends this chapter.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Just read the entire thread. loved the truck and it sucks to see it was sold. like you said above hope the new owners treat her the way she deserves. Also, agree with the Chris...don't ever sell that 88

Last edited: