Alternator slow to start charging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did some crazy strange things.... In warm weather it would show low volts on gauge, in freezing temps it would show correct volts, CRAZY... All I could think of was freezing temps pushed the grounds tighter LOL... Put all new grounds on and added two more, then gauge volts etc ran perfect no matter what the temps, yup crazy ...

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
AD244 have higher idle output than most other alternators. Iirc the cs144 has the same idle output (unlike the ad230 having superior idle output compared to the cs130/d) but it does it with much less heat. last longer. It also has smart regulator behaviors that extend its life and properly make use of its time. It also has no external fan so you can get hit by that. It also has a very easy oem replacement route since like said a factory application exists you can order the alt from.

You need to replace the wiring harness connector for the alternator (4 pin plug) or adapt if you have a CS144. If you have a CS130 you also do. If you have a CS130D (i believe 94+ do..? maybe 96+?) then the connector is the same (a Delphi metripak 4 pin oval)
Like I said there are adapter harnesses like there was for the 10si/12si to CS130 that simply adapt the plugs so you dont have to cut any wires

Your factory plug likely only has 1 wire, the L terminal. That excites the regulator. The P terminal is Tach(only matters if the alternator was internally connected to that pin) , there is an I terminal but that wont be used in the trucks application. Cars use it to monitor the functioning of the alternator.

Finally, the S terminal. I highly recommend using this terminal in ANY alternator that has it by wiring a small gauge wire to the furthest hot-junction point in your electrical system from your charge wires connection to the system point. If you have a fuse box on the opposite side of the engine bay from your battery, and your battery is where your alternator large wire is going to, then I would find the positive junction on that fuse box. If your charge wire goes to a fuse box but you have a starter on the opposite side of the engine bay, for example, wire it there. This will command the alternator to maintain THAT point to system voltage. so lets say you have 13 connections between battery and the starter, your alternator will cook your battery but make sure you overcome that resistance. Just joking but not really.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
show me a picture of your gauge cluster...

...if you DO NOT get a charge light on at key on, i found your issue, youre not exciting your alternator. To excite your alternator you need to provide resisted 12 volts to the L terminal on the alternator 4 wire plug (they are labled on the alternator or the plug or both) You resist it by using a 194 bulb so not to provide full 12v, (that is bad for the regulator) If you instantly start charging by doing this, your issue is 100% the light being gone

Hello @Reluctanse,

@AuroraGirl , @1990Z71Swede, @Erik the Awful, and @GoToGuy have all posted
really solid troubleshooting info on all this. In order to tie all this together (for future
reference by others) I'm going to attach some stuff to visually support what they've
already shared.

In the 1st attachment I've pulled what should be your instrument cluster out of the
'99 FSM. (Isn't it the same as the one in my '99? '99 C2500 gauges) When you first
turn the key to the RUN position (but the engine hasn't started yet), that Battery
icon should be illuminated, and then goes off once the engine has started & charging
has commenced. As AuroraGirl stated above, if you never see this battery icon
illuminated on your truck, then this is the proverbial smoking bulb we've been
looking for. :0)

In the 2nd attachment I'm building on GoToGuy's schematic in reply #15 above.
His detailed schematic is in the center of this Big Picture view of the charging
system, all the way from the power source (Fuse 4, 'GAUGES') through the
"Charge Warning Indicator" instrument panel light, and finally excitation pin L
on the 'Generator'.

NOTE: I include this on the off chance that the bulb for the Battery icon doesn't ever
illuminate *but* the bulb is found to still be good? (ie: marginal wiring path not
allowing enough current to illuminate good bulb...and also making it hard for a
cold alternator to excite?)

In the 3rd attachment is this circuit's Theory of Operation to go along with
the big picture schematic. I put a small box around their statement that
the alternator does get going via a powered bulb connected to pin L. (Lamp)

In the 4th attachment are the pinouts for 3 different connectors. Looks to
me that the gas jobs only have the Lamp wire, whereas the Diesels add a
second connection to allow the alternator ('generator') to provide the
'Tachometer' signal to the instrument cluster.

And for those who found the terse circuit description in the FSM only whetted
their appetite for knowledge about getting alternators excited about working
right away, I found this article from the Motor website to be a good read.
(P-L-I-S Alternator troubleshooting strategies)

To summarize, IF the 'Charge Warning Indicator' bulb is working properly, then
removing the Alternator (in order to be able to test it while cold/broken) at your
favorite parts store that offers the free service is your best bet.

On the other hand, if the Battery Icon isn't illuminating, then we need to get that
working (hopefully nothing more than a bulb swap) and *then* see if the alternator
starts working 'right now' like it should.

Best of luck. Looking forward to reading all about what you discover.

Cheers --

Attachments

• '99 -'00 Instrument cluster (ALT warning light arrow) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol....jpg
    '99 -'00 Instrument cluster (ALT warning light arrow) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol....jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Alternator control circuit wiring diagram -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    Alternator control circuit wiring diagram -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 13
  • L (Lamp) exciter connection (boxed) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    L (Lamp) exciter connection (boxed) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Possible Alternator exciter connections (edited) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    Possible Alternator exciter connections (edited) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's required to swap in the ad244?
Nothing but a longer belt if you have a CS130. You have to swap the connector if you have the CS144 but the belt will be the right length.
Is that the same alternator the later OBS Burbs use? It's 145 amp, and I think all you need for that swap is the longer belt(besides the alternator of course).
No, the Higher output in OBS trucks was a CS144. The AD series is still an upgrade over those as the low rpm output is better/higher.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep - replaced the voltage regulator. Pretty easy just a little soldering to do, and it seems to be resolved. $28 fix. Also cleaned and greased the needle bearing while I was in there.

Before i repaired the alternator i gave the battery a good charge, and started it again to confirm. Got no charging even with full battery before the fix.

New regulator, boom. Charges up right away. 14.45 volts at the posts by my digital volt meter.

Thanks everyone,

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep - replaced the voltage regulator. Pretty easy just a little soldering to do, and it seems to be resolved. $28 fix. Also cleaned and greased the needle bearing while I was in there.

Before i repaired the alternator i gave the battery a good charge, and started it again to confirm. Got no charging even with full battery before the fix.

New regulator, boom. Charges up right away. 14.45 volts at the posts by my digital volt meter.

Thanks everyone,
not to brag.. but.. LOL