Slow Roller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nineno

Reaction score
Hello GMT400 friends,

I’ve been a lurker in the forums for several years (with a few posts along the way), but I figured it was time for me to come out of the shadows to share my project.

The truck is a 1989 regular cab, short bed W/T that I found on Craigslist. It was originally a 4.3L/700R4, but when I found it it didn’t have an engine or trans (as evidence by the faux-lift in the first picture). This was nearly perfect for me, because I wanted to have some flexibility when it came time to pick an engine and transmission.

You must be registered for see images attach

I purchased the truck in the late summer of 2020 for $800 – yes, a COVID-era project. The leaves are literally flying in the picture above, taken in the fall of 2020. (The slow pace of my project and the fact that I bought it as a roller, not a driver, is the origin of the build thread title - in case anyone was wondering.)

The first order of business was to gut the entire truck – nearly every nut and bolt. I had no idea what I was going to find, but the short story is that it was in pretty good shape, aside from:
  • cab corners
  • bottom edge of the doors
  • a wonky hood (something heavy fell on it)
  • the driver side rear wheel arch
  • some surface rust on the floorboards (thanks for the **radio edit** OE rubber floor mat)
  • a busted out 4-panel slider rear window.
(Side note: The 4-panel slider has been removed. If anyone needs piece-parts for this type of rear window, send me a message. I’d be happy to find a good home for the remaining parts.)

Once the truck was gutted, I bit the bullet and bought a DJM Suspension 4/6 drop kit. In the height of COVID, that took several months to arrive. I also sourced a pair of 1500HD spindles from a salvage yard. The HD spindle castings were glass bead blasted and painted with POR15, then outfitted with OE-style rotors, calipers, and "performance" brake pads. (To be clear, I did not bead blast the bearing surface, etc. Those were covered with a rubber hose during the process.)

I know the brakes on these trucks are marginal, so I may revisit this setup once the truck is moving under its own power. For now this was a cheap option that is at least equivalent to how it was built 35 years ago.

To be continued...

nineno

Reaction score
The DJM kit went in smoothly, aside from busting a leaf spring and a bolt in the process. I’m glad the spring broke while I was working on the suspension, rather than driving the truck! To keep moving forward, I ordered a cheap set of replacement leaf springs from Rock Auto. They’re good enough for the truck to sit on while I work on it, but at some point, they may also get replaced.

In the pic below it’s easy to see that the rear has been dropped, but the front still has a "mini-Carolina Squat" going on without and engine/trans to hold it down.

As with everything on this truck, I’ll slowly roll out a few more updates. In the next post I’ll cover some of the smaller projects and smaller parts I’ve worked on along the way.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello GMT400 friends,

I’ve been a lurker in the forums for several years (with a few posts along the way), but I figured it was time for me to come out of the shadows to share my project.

The truck is a 1989 regular cab, short bed W/T that I found on Craigslist. It was originally a 4.3L/700R4, but when I found it it didn’t have an engine or trans (as evidence by the faux-lift in the first picture). This was nearly perfect for me, because I wanted to have some flexibility when it came time to pick an engine and transmission.

I purchased the truck in the late summer of 2020 for $800 – yes, a COVID-era project. The leaves are literally flying in the picture above, taken in the fall of 2020. (The slow pace of my project and the fact that I bought it as a roller, not a driver, is the origin of the build thread title - in case anyone was wondering.)

The first order of business was to gut the entire truck – nearly every nut and bolt. I had no idea what I was going to find, but the short story is that it was in pretty good shape, aside from:
  • cab corners
  • bottom edge of the doors
  • a wonky hood (something heavy fell on it)
  • the driver side rear wheel arch
  • some surface rust on the floorboards (thanks for the **radio edit** OE rubber floor mat)
  • a busted out 4-panel slider rear window.
(Side note: The 4-panel slider has been removed. If anyone needs piece-parts for this type of rear window, send me a message. I’d be happy to find a good home for the remaining parts.)

Once the truck was gutted, I bit the bullet and bought a DJM Suspension 4/6 drop kit. In the height of COVID, that took several months to arrive. I also sourced a pair of 1500HD spindles from a salvage yard. The HD spindle castings were glass bead blasted and painted with POR15, then outfitted with OE-style rotors, calipers, and "performance" brake pads. (To be clear, I did not bead blast the bearing surface, etc. Those were covered with a rubber hose during the process.)

I know the brakes on these trucks are marginal, so I may revisit this setup once the truck is moving under its own power. For now this was a cheap option that is at least equivalent to how it was built 35 years ago.

To be continued...

Really like the attention to detail evident by the before/after photos of your 1500HD spindles.

Looks like that truck lucked out with the human that it ended up with. And one thing I really
like about this generation truck is that they are still simple enough that mere (motivated) mortals can
bring them back to new condition in their back yard. As a former lurker myself, good on you for
bringing Slow Roller out of the shadows and onto the public stage. And kudos on pictures that
are sharp enough that I can read the part numbers that you used. (I learn something from
every photo shared in the GMT400 forum. (!)

I'm looking forward to your updates.

Nice to cross paths with another GMT400 enthusiast on an build adventure. Cheers --

PS - In that first photo it looks like an interesting early Falcon convertible? Nothing like a
little top-down fun after all your hauling is done for the day. :0)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nice start to your project! I'm a little amazed the leaf spring broke! I'm guessing your DJM kit is drop lower control arms and springs? I was a little confused when you refurbed the HD spindles since in my mind a 4/6 is springs and spindles up front, but then I remembered DJM does a lot of control arm stuff.

Having room to pop the bed off for the frame notch is such a blessing. I double-tricked myself into doing my last notch in the garage with the bed ON the truck, but propped up off the frame so I could work. The "double" part of the trick was thinking I would be able to work around dually fenders in a cramped garage.

Any thoughts yet on your engine/transmission combo?

Richard

nineno

Reaction score
Everyone - Thanks for the feedback, compliments, and questions.

@Road Trip - I agree, completely: The GMT400 platform is very easy to work on compared to some other stuff (newer and older) that I've busted knuckles on.

I've learned a lot from this forum as well - as you suggest, often times it is a picture in unrelated thread that provides the nugget of information I need.
In that first photo it looks like an interesting early Falcon convertible?
Indeed. The Falcon in the background is a 1963. That is the only year Ford offered a convertible on the "round body" (1960-1963) Falcon. Convertibles were also offered on the `64 & `65 Falcons ("square body" style). The car in the background is the combination of the first two cars I ever purchased. If I get the truck back on the road, that might be about the time I rip the Falcon apart (again) to clean-up all the mistakes I built into it between the ages of 16 and 23!

----------------------------------------

@someotherguy / Richard
Your frame notching experience sounds miserable. Happy to see that you were able to wiggle out of the garage, eventually!

I'm guessing your DJM kit is drop lower control arms and springs?
You are correct: The DJM front drop is an control arm & spring combo. Since @Sean Buick 76 also asked about the hardware to accomplish this drop up, here are a few links:
DJM 2" LCAs: https://djmsuspension.com/product/1988-1998-c1500-silverado-sierra-4-inch-lowering-control-arms/
DJM 2" drop coils: https://djmsuspension.com/product/1...tahoe-yukon-suburban-2inch-drop-coil-springs/
DJM UCAs: https://djmsuspension.com/product/1988-1998-c1500-silverado-sierra-upper-control-arms/

The coils plus the LCAs achieve the 4" drop (per DJM). The UCAs help make the front wheel alignment less difficult and prevent an extreme ball joint angle up top.

As of today (March, 2024) the front suspension has only been loaded with powertrain weight a few times for a total of a couple hours, so the actual drop that I get may not be 4". We'll all find out together at some point in the future! (Keep your fingers crossed for me!)

The truck was built with the 'standard' (LD?) spindles that carry the 1" thick rotors. At the time I was figuring out the suspension, there was some question on my part as to whether the DJM front control arms were compatible with the little spindles. The front brakes needed to be replaced anyway, so rather than waste many calories thinking about it, I just got the HD spindles (that carry the 1.25" thick rotors), rebuilt those, and moved on.

@Drunkcanuk - As much as I'd like to take credit for great foresight, it was mostly luck that I made the choice to switch to HD spindles when I did!

Any thoughts yet on your engine/transmission combo?
So many thoughts, Richard. (ha-ha)
I'm planning to give a brief glimpse into at least one of the engine choices I wanted to make happen -- but could not pull off without an unjustifiable amount of work. The powertrain decision is finalized now, and I'll share some details once I have a few notes and a couple of pictures ready. (Advanced warning for those that love to flame: Fill the tanks on your flame throwers.)