88GMCtruck's 99 6.5L Towpig slow build.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
I may have missed this along the way because your thread is 29 screens long!!!!
Why not put the fogs in the bumper location instaed of in place of the tow hooks?

Actually this was stated higher up on the page when I said somethin bout it, he put them in the same place they would have been from the factory

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Just read through this whole thread. I want a diesel! Gas mileage and MOAR POWER sounds totally worth it to me. Awesome truck man, its a beast.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I may have missed this along the way because your thread is 29 screens long!!!!
Why not put the fogs in the bumper location instaed of in place of the tow hooks?
Actually this was stated higher up on the page when I said somethin bout it, he put them in the same place they would have been from the factory
Well, I would actually love to have lights in the bumper of this truck, but I will tell you right now, on a 6.5L diesel truck that is a HUGE no-no. Those holes are there for cooling, without them the truck risks overheating while towing. not being able to fill those holes leaves me with the only other factory option, which IMO looks just fine anyway.

My 88 has them in the bumper and airdam for years and years. I was one of the first people to use a diesel bumper in such a way, modeled after the Z71 tahoes.

Just read through this whole thread. I want a diesel! Gas mileage and MOAR POWER sounds totally worth it to me. Awesome truck man, its a beast.
Thanks man.

Just2Sweet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Awesome thread! I really enjoyed reading through it and looking at all your pics. I like all the little things you've done to it while keeping it looking factory, inside and out. That's a really nice truck you have, VERY tastefully done! In fact, all three of your trucks look great!

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
ok, on one hand you make me really sad...i would give most anything i own for a truck like that in it's current state...and on another hand, you make me and many other fellow GMT'rs very happy to see someone take the time you do and the extent of the quality work u undergo....thanks and good luck. i have to now been out of work for almost 5 weeks =( hope you have more luck than i am having

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Well, I'm happy to report that the towpig is still running strong. I recently did an oil change and everything went smoothly. I also moved the foglights farther back into the airdamn, installed a new HVAC control with Rear Defrost control and hooked the heated mirrors up to it. Last weekend I had a battery crap out on me so I replaced both with new units from Costco.

I also snapped these picts while out Deer hunting recently.
You must be registered for see images attach

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Just spent my Friday night reading this entire thread and sipping on Abita Satsuma.

I admire your work, I too like to do things the right way and in a tasteful yet OEM like way, if that makes sense. I take pride in that people who have Tahoes like mine look at mine and know something is different, but they have a hard time figuring it out...that's what you've done with the '99 IMO.

Newdude

Reaction score
That is quite the read! Love all of the transformations you have done to this truck and makes me want to find a GMT-400 to do something fun right now. I'm always on the prowl but never have luck.

Anyway, I do have a question about the OBS center caps on the PYO wheels. Did you have to modify the caps to get them to fit and did you have any issues with the lug nut caps going on?

I bought some Dorman lug caps and a set of OBS centers and I can't get the lug caps to go on one bit. I have a feeling I should have forked over the dough at the dealer for GM ones...