454 Vortec EGR Pipe Cap Sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know the size cap needed to plug the EGR hose coming off the driver's side manifold to intake manifold? With the transmission in the truck it looks about impossible to get that damn hose back on.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If capping the EGR, you'll require a 'tune' that deletes the EGR function and retunes the engine for sans EGR. The EGR function is complicated and shutting it off might set off the knock sensors. It'll definitely set codes and create an emissions fail. If tested. It'll fail a visual.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cut one of the nuts off the EGR tube and drop a plug in and tighten it down. Something like a metal handybox knockout would fit...I think. You get the idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that also got me thinking about tapping the ID of the male fitting to crank a pipe plug into it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on how all that fits, I could cram a nut with a knockout down on top of all that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does it fit a 454? Nobody specifies in the reviews what their vehicle is. If this guy is right, then this is a winner right here.

So, I just removed it and replaced it with a fully threaded steel plug with 1/2" pipe thread, slathered in pipe dope, and that works great, sitting flush, with many threads of engagement. Save your money and just make a trip to the plumbing section of your local hardware store.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Guess: Doesn't matter if it's small-block or big-block, the EGR pipes on Vortecs are all threaded the same.

The problem with the cheap "Pipe thread" solution is that you're going to destroy the existing threads by forcing an improper fitting into place.

What you're dealing with is almost certainly NOT pipe thread.

I'd expect an inverted-flare, straight thread, and perhaps metric.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My thought was if the thread count is the same between that and the pipe plug it shouldn't be a bad option. Guess I gotta google what that is.