94 454 quick disconnect coolant fitting woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy94chevy

Reaction score
Hey guys I had a weird leak dripping down the back of my engine. I feared it was a freeze plug in the back then i thought it was maybe the intake gaskets, so I rented a pressure tester and was relieved to find it was the stupid quick disconnect coolant connector on the rear of my intake manifold. Well I'm no longer relieved (still relieved I don't have to drop the trans for a freeze plug) because I can not get the thing out. It snapped flush and my easy outs and other similar tools just are digging pieces out. I believe I have it almost too the threads and now there isn't much meat to trap into the middle. I'm now thinking I have to pull the intake after all. The truck is a 94 454 k3500 crew cab. How do you get the wiring harness out of the tbi if I pull the intake? I suppose I could just set it off to the passenger side. Does anyone have any other tips tricks to remove the broken fitting before I remove the intake? Problem is on the big blocks of this Era the fitting is on the back passenger side of the intake as opposed to my small blocks where it's in the front. Sorry for the story book but any help would be appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lisle made a tool set specifically for that job. Long-since discontinued. The individual pieces may still be available, but the kits are history--unless you can find NOS.

You must be registered for see images attach

muddy94chevy

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I actually put an order in for the lisle separate tool. I didn't know that used to be a kit. Fingers crossed there is still enough meat to get a bite on.

glock20

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I actually put an order in for the lisle separate tool. I didn't know that used to be a kit. Fingers crossed there is still enough meat to get a bite on.
I'm not familiar with the location of the fitting on the 454s but it was really easy on the 350. Just tap that lisle tool posted above into the broken off fitting and it will turn right out.

I replaced mine with a 5/8" (??) hose barb to never have the issue again

muddy94chevy

Reaction score
Apparently on the tbi's this connector is back on the passenger side near the distributor. On the vortec at least the 350s it is near the front and easy to get to.

I think I got mine out with lisle tool. Or atleast enough out that I was able to thread a new one in. Seems good and tight.

Interesting I've never heard of an internal pipe wrench. Going to go do some research on those now.

If anyone is reading this in the future, I do believe the lisle tool would've gotten it out if I had that tool on hand before I tried regular easy outs and then I tried Mayhew brand that are more of a tapered square. The easy outs definitely were just eating the fitting away and making the hole too large for the lisle tool to work properly.
Thanks for everyone's responses, I'm calling this good and if I ever have to take the intake manifold off later on I can verify/ remove the old fitting properly.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting I've never heard of an internal pipe wrench. Going to go do some research on those now.
Very handy when switching out shower heads and the chinesium chromed shower pipe itself twists off and leaves only the threaded section inside the brass fitting behind the wall... no bueno.