454 Vortec EGR Pipe Cap Sizes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my vortec 350, I used the threaded part off of an old 2" trailer ball. I cut the threaded part off and it threaded into the egr hole fine.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know the size cap needed to plug the EGR hose coming off the driver's side manifold to intake manifold? With the transmission in the truck it looks about impossible to get that damn hose back on.

FWIW I believe the tube size is -14 JIC for the 454. 350s use a different size.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Google seems to imply that's a 37 degree fitting like AN?
"Army/Navy" "AN" is an ancient, obsolete military/aerospace spec that hasn't been used in decades. Naturally, the hot-rod community still pretends it's valid.

"Joint Industry Council" "JIC" is an ancient, obsolete automotive spec that hasn't been used in decades. Naturally, nobody knows what the hell it is. The JIC products were similar to AN, but without being as picky on thread forms, (not thread pitch!) manufacturing precision and inspection, and such. Both used 37 degree flares and the same thread pitches. You could put "AN" parts onto a city bus, and it would work just fine. You can't put city bus parts onto Apollo 11, or a fighter plane.

Both "AN" and "JIC" have been replaced with newer, military and SAE specs. The land-vehicle specs are again not as stringent as the aerospace stuff.

What's sold at Summit and Jegs as "AN" is more like the old JIC spec, and not like the REAL "AN" spec. REAL aerospace parts cost aerospace money unless you're buying them used or "surplus".

JIC or the modern equivalent is perfectly fine for civilian land-vehicle use. Even "hot rods". Depending on the class, (Formula 1, Indycar, etc.) aerospace components might be desirable on a race car. This would not include your local "street stock" dirt circle class.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Joint Industry Council" "JIC" is an ancient, obsolete automotive spec that hasn't been used in decades.
FYI - we still use JIC in industrial hydraulic system hoses generally up to ~3500PSI working pressure. When we go higher pressures, we use 2 or 3 bolt flange fittings (with Viton or Teflon O-rings) or Schedule 160 welded pipe fittings. This was just our safety policy since we would see way higher pressure spikes in the system.

https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/37-degree-JIC-fittings-adapter-s/1874.htm

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI - we still use JIC in industrial hydraulic system hoses generally up to ~3500PSI working pressure. When we go higher pressures, we use 2 or 3 bolt flange fittings (with Viton or Teflon O-rings) or Schedule 160 welded pipe fittings. This was just our safety policy since we would see way higher pressure spikes in the system.

https://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/37-degree-JIC-fittings-adapter-s/1874.htm
What was specified as "JIC" should now be spec'ed as SAE J514. The engineering drawings and Bill-of-Materials that I used to work with also called-out "JIC" fittings; but I think the SAE had already superseded by that time. The engineering staff hadn't gotten out of the habit of using "JIC" yet (and probably still use "JIC".)

I said that "JIC... hasn't been used in decades." but what I meant was that it hasn't been "official" for decades.

I think the continued use of "JIC" is very similar to Summit and Jegs and all the others that think every 37 degree flare is "AN". It's not at all correct, but it's common usage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JIC_fitting

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saying, all of our supply houses still call it JIC, maybe for easy recognition in the industry.