vortec 454 eating distributor caps/ rotor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my 99 k3500 with the 454 a few years back drove it daily with no issues probably 30k miles. I now have a daily driver so the truck sits a lot more and is only taken out for dirt biking, snowmobiling, hunting ect. Its sitting at 210000 miles now. About 1 year ago the motor started shaking and loss power and eventually no start it was pretty clear that it was missing very bad so i did plugs, wires, and distributor. truck seemed to run better than ever besides a little stumble at idle. 6 months later same issue but not nearly as bad. loss of power rough idle but made it home. Replaced just the cap and rotor this time and problem solved. Trucks ran good for probably 4 to 6 months, multiple trips from WA to MT and power sports almost every (weekend towing). recently i did a 3 hour drive and when i pulled off the highway I had no low end power, idle was rough but didn't die or seem like it wanted to. Made it all the way home not much of a difference at highway speed definitely low on power but was able to hold 80 home with 4 dirt bikes. I have the intake of right and was about to toss another cap and rotor at it but figured I see if anyone has experienced anything similar or possibly knew what could be going on. ask me anything for clarification forgive me I'm only 22 and not extremely experienced. thank you to anyone who replies!
Check your distributor shaft for worn bushings.

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your cam/crank correlation is off (worn timing chain or gears, distributor gear wear, etc) you might not trigger the fault code, but the spark will be jumping a huge gap in the distributor because the rotor is already moving away from the poles as the spark tries to fire. I killed several caps and rotors quickly on a Vortec engine before figuring out what was happening. Fixing the distributor base position took care of it.