2000 K3500 4x4 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Depends on the situation, if it seems like it is straining to maintain speed then i would keep it out of overdrive. But if its a light load then overdrive is fine. 4l80e trannys are pretty strong from my experience. Heat is the number one killer of transmissions.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
As I'm finally getting the truck ready for towing/hauling, I've ran across an interesting difference of opinion about towing in overdrive that I had not considered before.
With my old truck stick shift, I'm used to shifting as needed.
However I've read that it is not recommended to tow in OD.

Does anyone have any input on this debate?
I plan to install a tranny temp gauge before I haul anything, but are there any factors other than heat to be concerned about?

The problem with towing in overdrive is 2 fold.

If you can't maintain speed, you need to just kick down a gear and drop speed. You don't want the converter locking and unlocking and it kicking up and down constantly. My brother's 1/2 with 3.73's if you hit a hill at 60, will drop to 45, kick down to 2nd, scream rpm. On grades it tends to hunt up and down between lock/unlock and 3rd/4th. His trans is going to fail sooner than later, because he's oblivious to the whole thing.

If you're lightly loaded, not going up a mountain, go ahead and use OD. If you notice it hunting around, just drop her into third and be content with 55-60 mph until you can maintain speed.

This is the one area diesels shine, they make gobs of midrange torque. So even if they aren't fast, they can hold a load like that in OD.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up some goodies today and a fantastic deal :D
You must be registered for see images attach

I got a great deal for them. I just happened to check craigslist for the shocks before ordering the same ones, these are new, never installed. And he happened to have the books for sale as well. Idk why but I'm very excited about the service manuals.

Now after I get new brakes I'll install the shocks.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got my AC fixed the other day. I had the system vacuumed and then filled. The compressor works, but the system had a very slow leak at the low side port.
I kept the freon in and was able to replace the valve core without having to re-charge.

Next thing to do is order and install torklift camper frame mounts and fast gun turnbuckles. That'll set me back about $1k so I'm not looking forward to it.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the situation, if it seems like it is straining to maintain speed then i would keep it out of overdrive. But if its a light load then overdrive is fine. 4l80e trannys are pretty strong from my experience. Heat is the number one killer of transmissions.

The problem with towing in overdrive is 2 fold.

If you can't maintain speed, you need to just kick down a gear and drop speed. You don't want the converter locking and unlocking and it kicking up and down constantly. My brother's 1/2 with 3.73's if you hit a hill at 60, will drop to 45, kick down to 2nd, scream rpm. On grades it tends to hunt up and down between lock/unlock and 3rd/4th. His trans is going to fail sooner than later, because he's oblivious to the whole thing.

If you're lightly loaded, not going up a mountain, go ahead and use OD. If you notice it hunting around, just drop her into third and be content with 55-60 mph until you can maintain speed.

This is the one area diesels shine, they make gobs of midrange torque. So even if they aren't fast, they can hold a load like that in OD.

Cool thanks for the advice. I'll have to see how it handles my load and watch my eventually installed Trans temp gauge.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
First time I've read this thread. Clean truck with issues! Just like my 98 lol

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just when I fix one thing, I find something else :eek:
Yesterday I fixed a coolant leak at the firewall end of a heater hose.
Today I find a new oil leak on my new driveway

BOOO!

First time I've read this thread. Clean truck with issues! Just like my 98 lol

Yep, at least they're clean :D
I still consider it a good buy, I still don't believe i've paid as much as it's worth, including parts.
It has taken quite enough of my time fixing it, however :rofl::anitoof::bawl:

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I just chip away at mine, I've finally gotten to the point where fixing something doesn't uncover five more issues lol.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Just when I fix one thing, I find something else :eek:
Yesterday I fixed a coolant leak at the firewall end of a heater hose.
Today I find a new oil leak on my new driveway

BOOO!

Yep, at least they're clean :D
I still consider it a good buy, I still don't believe i've paid as much as it's worth, including parts.
It has taken quite enough of my time fixing it, however :rofl::anitoof::bawl:
Looks like the oil leaks I had....

I did that whole "drop the front diff, pull oil pan, timing cover, install new timing set and re-seal it all" ordeals.

Have fun :lol: