2000 K3500 4x4 CC DRW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think i'll go for it. The special tools will be an initial investment but I have a habit of owning older vehicles (2005 evo) that will eventually also need rebuilds.
Funny thing happened, i've been watching a bunch of videos of v8 pushrod rebuilds and in one series the dude walks through disassembly really well, but the rngine was out of Alex and didnt end up rebuilding it. So I learned all about the first part :rofl:

You won't regret having the tools and knowledge, I guarantee that. Just keep watching videos and researching, it'll help to have a mental game plan when you actually tear into it.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I found some gunk in the oil pickup
You must be registered for see images attach

That is a thin metal sliver, about 2" long. Thats half of it that you can see, I had to pull the rest out.

And some strange wear on the ends of these (lobes?), rough and painful to touch.

Cam wear? Does that look normal? Or would that explain the cold ticking it initially had?

One main bearing had .0015" clearance, i'll check more tomorrow.

Bearings look bad to me, .0015" is pretty good clearance but that scoring doesn't look good. I'm not really sure what would do that to the crank lobes.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't regret having the tools and knowledge, I guarantee that. Just keep watching videos and researching, it'll help to have a mental game plan when you actually tear into it.
For sure, that's my plan right now, if I can finish the rebuild my March 2017 i'll be happy.
And being able to rebuild other engines later would be cool.
Bearings look bad to me, .0015" is pretty good clearance but that scoring doesn't look good. I'm not really sure what would do that to the crank lobes.
Yeah I'm just going to pull the engine and rebuild, no use checking any more clearances after finding that chunk of metal.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was telling my wife about the cummins swap and the advantages of this engine, that i'd like to do it to my '92 project sometime in the future.
When I told her i need to rebuild the 454 in my 2000, she suggested doing this swap now, in that truck instead.
If only I didn't live in CA, the conversion/smog would be a nightmare :(

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started stripping the block last night to get ready for the machine shop.
I'm getting a parts list together, so far I plan to replace:

Bearings (bring cam bearings to machine shop for install)
Pistons
Cam
Lifters
Springs
Oil pump
Oil pump shaft upgrade
All gaskets

I plan to reuse my crank and rods, but if any of it's bad, i'll replace with stroker.

Is there anything else I should replace while i'm at it?
When I was calling around to different shops, one of them recommended I replace all the rod and main bolts.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I started stripping the block last night to get ready for the machine shop.
I'm getting a parts list together, so far I plan to replace:

Bearings (bring cam bearings to machine shop for install)
Pistons
Cam
Lifters
Springs
Oil pump
Oil pump shaft upgrade
All gaskets

I plan to reuse my crank and rods, but if any of it's bad, i'll replace with stroker.

Is there anything else I should replace while i'm at it?
When I was calling around to different shops, one of them recommended I replace all the rod and main bolts.

Unless you're planning to do something crazy with it you should be fine reusing the bolts. When doing simple overhauls I always have.

I assume you are having the block hot tanked?

Also are you running the stock cam?

Looks like you're on track.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you're planning to do something crazy with it you should be fine reusing the bolts. When doing simple overhauls I always have.

I assume you are having the block hot tanked?

Also are you running the stock cam?

Looks like you're on track.
Yep, i'm going to have the block hot tanked and magnafluxed.

I'm going to go aftermarket cam, I'm going to call up comp or lunati when i'm ready to see what else i'll need, probably an adjustable valvetrain. Hopefully I won't have to replace much else, depending on the cam.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, i'm going to have the block hot tanked and magnafluxed.

I'm going to go aftermarket cam, I'm going to call up comp or lunati when i'm ready to see what else i'll need, probably an adjustable valvetrain. Hopefully I won't have to replace much else, depending on the cam.

Adjustable valvetrain would probably be a good idea, also short poly-locks are worth using, I had lots of issues with stock style lock nuts coming loose.

Let us know what sort of cam recommendations you get, I'm curious.

cool_as_crap

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Adjustable valvetrain would probably be a good idea, also short poly-locks are worth using, I had lots of issues with stock style lock nuts coming loose.

Let us know what sort of cam recommendations you get, I'm curious.

Will do and thanks for the help.

BTW, can you share details of your stroker kit?
Where'd you get it and what kind of pistons? (hyperutectic or forged)