Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jairolua

Reaction score
how’s it going everyone… I’m new to this page and had a question/ opinion from you guys. I have a 1997 c2500 with a 7.4 454 backed with a 4L80E stock. Unfortunately, my rear end gave out recently and I’m looking at options for gearing. Stock they are 3.73 but I was thinking about doing 4.10. I only use the truck to tow my toy hauler which is about 8K loaded. Mostly the places I travel to are up hill. What is everyone’s take on this setup.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how’s it going everyone… I’m new to this page and had a question/ opinion from you guys. I have a 1997 c2500 with a 7.4 454 backed with a 4L80E stock. Unfortunately, my rear end gave out recently and I’m looking at options for gearing. Stock they are 3.73 but I was thinking about doing 4.10. I only use the truck to tow my toy hauler which is about 8K loaded. Mostly the places I travel to are up hill. What is everyone’s take on this setup.

Upgrading to a 4.10 gives the engine ~10% more advantage over the payload than your current 3.73.

Another way of looking at it is to imagine staying with the 3.73 but upping the 454 10% in displacement (+45ci) to a 499ci engine.
Equally good, just implemented on the other end of the powertrain.

In the old days of non-overdrive Turbo 400s, changing up to a 4.10 would add more buzzing on the highway, but with the
4L80-E it's no longer a deal breaker at all. Given your usage pattern a 4.10 upgrade would no doubt better tailor your truck
to your needs. Definitely not a radical mod.

(NOTE: I write this from the perspective as an owner of a factory original '99 C2500/454/4L80-E/4.10 FF/8600GVW chore truck.)

And let me be the first to welcome you to the GMT400 forum. Pics of your C2500 are like currency here -- we like photos of
trucks, especially the ones that are busy earning their keep.

Safe travels --

Last edited:

Jairolua

Reaction score
Thank you,
I found the complete rear end with 4.10 gears on it thinking I already had them but when I opened the cover I found out they were 3.73 and also verified the rpo on the glove box. 300 bucks for the complete rear end and 6 month warranty I think is a good deal.

Will 4.10 put me at lower rpm while hauling in 3rd gear

Attachments

• image000000.jpeg
    image000000.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 12

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you,
I found the complete rear end with 4.10 gears on it thinking I already had them but when I opened the cover I found out they were 3.73 and also verified the rpo on the glove box. 300 bucks for the complete rear end and 6 month warranty I think is a good deal.

Will 4.10 put me at lower rpm while hauling in 3rd gear

4.10 = ~10% higher engine rpm in 3rd gear for any given speed vs your current setup.

Given the size of your trailer, your engine will thank you for
the improved gear ratio. :0)

BTW, *nice* photo of a hard-working rig!

Last edited:

Jairolua

Reaction score
This is my first truck and I’m happy with it. I’ve used it to tow mostly everything and been happy with it. One thing I prob will have to do is upgrade trans cooler… any recommendations on that

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow, that's quite the rig. pic is hard to see, an equilizer hitch with bars would help level and towing.
8000lbs, have you weighed it? bet its more. That's about the max for that truck with 3.73's.
Trans temp guage would be a good investment.
check for the CP6 option package on list in glove box.

pretty sure you'll have it, if so trans cooler should be fine, just stay up on the maintenance, especially trans fluid changes.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
First, yes, go with the 4.10 axle!

Second, you have a 1997 so you can get a trans temp gauge for the price of an OBD2 dongle, free program download on your cell phone/tablet, and $10 upgrade to that program. No wiring or plumbing needed.

I have an OBD Link+ dongle and dash command program for my 1996 K3500 dually to get trans temp among other awesome stuff in there.

Jairolua

Reaction score
@1997… yea it’s got a trans cooler already from factory just wondering if it’ll be a good idea to upgrade it to something bigger

@RichLo … will the obd read out the trans temp? Or do I have to install a sensor… where can I find the set up you have?
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Get this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

And download this onto whatever you want to display trans temp, I have it on an i-Pad that is mounted to a holder on my dash so I can always have it active when I'm driving.

Then once you get those two you will put in your vehicle data and spend some time playing with it and customizing your new dash gauges the way you like. You'll find a tag that is available but locked for GM Transmission temp and then you will pay $10 to upgrade the app to access the tag.

There is a write up somewhere on the forum about this, try searching and if you find it please link it otherwise I'll try to find it tonight wen I get home for you.