1997 Chevy C2500 5.7 Vortec - Rough and High Idle. Has 411 PCM upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeforceXtreme

Reaction score
Hey Everyone. Trying to figure out an issue with a 1997 Chevy C2500. It has the 5.7 Vortec with around 159K. Last year it started running rough. The truck would start ok when cold. But seemed to have like a miss and the idle was higher then normal. However, if you would shut the truck off and try to start again, it would just crank unless you held down the throttle pedal all the way. Once it would fire over, it would smell super rich and eventually level out. Because the truck still had the older style CSFI spider injector setup, I just assumed that setup was failing from age. So, I parked the truck as I planned to wait until this year to install the newer style MPFI spider injector setup. Also performing a tune up.

Just this month I installed the MPFI spider injector upgrade along with a new distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs & wires, & PCV valve. Unfortunately, it seems like all the parts I replaced didn’t resolve the issue. Seems like it’s dealing with the same exact issues as last year.

I did check for error codes and this is what was listed:

P0200 – Injector Circuit/Open

P0102 – Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit Low

P2000 – NOx Absorber Efficient Below Threshold Bank 1

My next step is to try to clean the dirty K&N filter and also the MAF sensor which looks like it could use a cleaning. I’m also going to check to make sure the 02 sensors are ok.

Should I consider replacing the Ignition Coil pack or the Ignition Control Module?

Now just to let everyone know, this truck isn’t running a stock 1997 GM black box PCM. As it was upgraded to a GM 411 silverbodied PCM back in 2015. This PCM was what was used in a 2001-2002 Chevy Express van that had the 5.7 Vortec. For many years since this PCM upgrade was done, the truck had been running better than Hey Everyone. Trying to figure out an issue with a 1997 Chevy C2500. It has the 5.7 Vortec with around 159K. Last year it started running rough. The truck would start ok when cold. But seemed to have like a miss and the idle was higher then normal. However, if you would shut the truck off and try to start again, it would just crank unless you held down the throttle pedal all the way. Once it would fire over, it would smell super rich and eventually level out. Because the truck still had the older style CSFI spider injector setup, I just assumed that setup was failing from age. So, I parked the truck as I planned to wait until this year to install the newer style MPFI spider injector setup. Also performing a tune up.

Just this month I installed the MPFI spider injector upgrade along with a new distributor cap & rotor, spark plugs & wires, & PCV valve. Unfortunately, it seems like all the parts I replaced didn’t resolve the issue. Seems like it’s dealing with the same exact issues as last year.

I did check for error codes and this is what was listed:

P0200 – Injector Circuit/Open

P0102 – Mass Air Flow MAF Circuit Low

P2000 – NOx Absorber Efficient Below Threshold Bank 1

My next step is to try to clean the dirty K&N filter and also the MAF sensor which looks like it could use a cleaning. I’m also going to check to make sure the 02 sensors are ok.

Should I consider replacing the Ignition Coil pack or the Ignition Control Module?

Now just to let everyone know, this truck isn’t running a stock 1997 GM black box PCM. As it was upgraded to a GM 411 silverbodied PCM back in 2015. This PCM was what was used in a 2001-2002 Chevy Express van that had the 5.7 Vortec. For many years since this PCM upgrade was done, the truck had been running better then it ever was with the original 1997 PCM. Which after this upgrade was done, allowed me to use HP Tuners. I’m concerned that possibly something could be going wrong with the PCM due to getting the P0200 error code?

Any suggestions or things I should check out? I do have the option of using my HP Tuner device to check anything out as well. Thank you!

it ever was with the original 1997 PCM. Which after this upgrade was done, allowed me to use HP Tuners. I’m concerned that possibly something could be going wrong with the PCM due to getting the P0200 error code?

Any suggestions or things I should check out? I do have the option of using my HP Tuner device to check anything out as well. Thank you!