1991 RCLB Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
So....
I may have made a handshake deal with JustinS on a set of 441 heads, an intake manifold and a carb. Dropping off some coin to him this weekend then I start pulling them off a spare 350 he has sitting in the garage. That should wake Bob1500 up a little bit. After that I will be looking into gears, then Bob really should be a fun ride.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I am hoping. Not going for any land speed records but I would like it to get a little more peppy, and sound better. I have been designing the swap on paper but I can't decide if I should a) run a carb which would require me to change a bunch of other things out or b) adapt the TBI I rebuilt to fit the new setup.

I know running a carb is easier to make work without all the ECM BS that stands in the way but on the other hand the truck does run good with the TBI setup so keeping and just adapting that to the new manifold setup means less that I have to change over. Since I know I am not drag racing @6000rpms and the heads are the same 76cc chamber size I think the TBI could keep up with the swap. More research needed. Trying to make the list so I know everything I will need to buy ahead of time to do this swap over a long weekend.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I rebuilt a TBI, threw it on a fresh 350 with a 4speed auto and it cranked really good for what it was. Shorty headers, 3 inch pipe back to a crossflow 80 series flowmaster and that was the best driving sounding truck I've ever owned.

I don't know if giving up the easy starts and running of a TBI for a carb is worth the swap (fyi, yes I know carbs can work pretty damn good, but in my opinion still not as well as fuel injection)

Best bet, tape back all of the throttle body stuff out of the way, add a adjustable fuel regulator and try the carb setup for awhile. Should make going back to TBI a little easier if things go sideways

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I agree, I think I will be keeping the TBI setup and just adapting it to work on the new heads and manifold. I am going over the JustinS's house on Saturday to pull the heads off the block and we will go from there.

In case anyone was wonder they as casting number 3932441 from 1970. Soft seats but I don't think that will be a problem. I will have the engine shop tank them and look them over, if all checks out then on they go and off into the sunset I ride...till something else pops up.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Just having non TBI heads will make heaps difference. Get or make an adjustable fuel regulator for the TBI itself and giver

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
From what I have read the TBI heads flow something like 175CFM while the 441 heads flow 195CFM. I imagine that has got to help.

Now that I should have better flow I can begin to ponder what cam I could drop in it in the future. One step at a time though. I don't want to go broke building a poor man's engine build.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Discovered the coolant line fitting on rear of the intake manifold that feeds the heater core is starting to leak. I know it might take me some time to get these 441 heads ready to go so I am going to swap the TBI manifold with the one I had done up at the engine shop last year. I am getting rid of that stupid quick connect adapter that GM thought was a good idea. I am replacing it with a regular 5/8" nipple and some 5/8" heater hose but don't worry, I did buy a restrictor so I don't explode the heater core. Should be a quick swap and that will allow me to keep driving the truck while I get the 441 heads cleaned and built.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Not that this means anything but I have a date matching upper end swap. The heads are coded G 8 0 and G 1 0. I bought the intake manifold along with the heads. It's casting number is 3965577 and date coded G 4 0. As I said, it doesn't mean much dollar-wise, it's just cool to know.

In other news my heater core hose restrictor valve came in from Amazon yesterday. Nothing fancy, just a 5/8" tube that has a 1/4" restriction in the middle of it. This is to avoid blowing up the heater core since I am doing away with the OEM hose assembly which is restricted internally at the manifold.

I am going to tank one of the heads at work tonight and do the other one tomorrow. Get some of that 47 year old grime off of them.

That's all I got today.

Picture of the restrictor valve.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pic of the manifold w/ Q-jet carb (which I probably will not be using).
You must be registered for see images attach