1991 RCLB Driver

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Flares for now. Wish list is to fix up the cab but for now just checking off little items on the list. If I want it to be nice it will need a cab swap with new fenders. The budget says no this year but if something pops up on CL next year I might make a move. The frame and drivetrain are nice so I got that going for me.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I wouldn't get bogged down with making it "pretty" for the moment. I would keep going with making it reliable and useable for now. Maybe add things to the interior like a decent stereo or a usb charge port or something, replace or clean the headlamp housings so you can see better night driving. **** like that.

The pics make the headlamps look fairly yellow'd, how bad are they at night?

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Honestly the headlights are good. I work night shift so I require good lights and these work fine for that. There's always room for aux lighting and I am researching what I want but for now the job is getting done. Everything I have done is functional over pretty at this point. I like driving with the windows cracked open so the ventshades should help with that. The tint cut the glare down at night, it was like driving in a fish bowl before. Mechanically I have it at the point where I am driving it 80 miles a day a few times a week (my work is 40 miles one way). I enjoy driving this truck and with warmer weather coming in I will really be able to enjoy it with the windows down.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
And Ventshades on! Took over an hour only because someone had a set on before that tore off leaving all the 3M tape behind. Heat gun and my thumb did the trick but it was a slow process. Prepped the surface and applied. Took it down the street, very nice. Every car/truck should have these. So on to the next phase...work my ass off saving for a new rear axle. I am thinking something along the lines of a 3.73 ratio to wake things up a bit. 3.08s just don't cut it for me.

You can see in the pic the headlights are in pretty good shape.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Pressure washed and hot tanked the junk yard intake manifold I bought last month. Looks way better but needs work before I install it. Still a step in the right direction. Also did a little clean up on a chrome are cleaner setup JustinS gave me. It was rusty and had been dropped 3 times in 2 minutes but cleaned up really nice. Took a scotchbrite pad to it then painted it black with Magic RustKill paint. Ordered a new air filter from CarQuest that came out to be less than 5 bucks. Going to order a cheap Chevy sticker off Ebay and slap it on the lid. This thing will look good for the less than $10 I will have into it. Just you wait and see!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Pressure washed and hot tanked the junk yard intake manifold I bought last month. Looks way better but needs work before I install it. Still a step in the right direction. Also did a little clean up on a chrome are cleaner setup JustinS gave me. It was rusty and had been dropped 3 times in 2 minutes but cleaned up really nice. Took a scotchbrite pad to it then painted it black with Magic RustKill paint. Ordered a new air filter from CarQuest that came out to be less than 5 bucks. Going to order a cheap Chevy sticker off Ebay and slap it on the lid. This thing will look good for the less than $10 I will have into it. Just you wait and see!
One Dollar!!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
And Ventshades on! Took over an hour only because someone had a set on before that tore off leaving all the 3M tape behind. Heat gun and my thumb did the trick but it was a slow process. Prepped the surface and applied. Took it down the street, very nice. Every car/truck should have these. So on to the next phase...work my ass off saving for a new rear axle. I am thinking something along the lines of a 3.73 ratio to wake things up a bit. 3.08s just don't cut it for me.

You can see in the pic the headlights are in pretty good shape.

3.42 ratio rear ends are much more common. That'll be a pretty good step up from those (yawn!) 3.08's. Little easier on the gas tab than 3.73's too, especially @ 80 miles a couple of times a week.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
You are probably right. But I'm not in a huge hurry so I can shop around a little bit. If I don't find anything than my second choice will have to be 3.42s and I am prepared to face that as a reality if need be.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
3.42 ratio rear ends are much more common. That'll be a pretty good step up from those (yawn!) 3.08's. Little easier on the gas tab than 3.73's too, especially @ 80 miles a couple of times a week.
My summer cruiser came with 5.12s, awful for driving!! Over 3k rpm in 5th at 55. I swapped in some 4.30s, now its much more manageable.