1991 C1500 TURBO 5.3/4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Big problem with that setup is the lack of a cooling fan on the cooler.

The next big problem is the pushlok style hose. Unfortunately that stuff won't survive long with trans oil, even though its said to be fine.
If you added a cooling fan to the remote cooler, you should see significantly lower temperatures.
I know with a big stall (4k) in a TH400 we saw 150-160* constant cruise temperatures and 190* after heavy launches.
I can't remember the part number of the Derale cooler and fan setup we used. But it's been great for around $225.
The reason your cooler isn't cooling well is also due to the fact that it's designed to run inline with your radiator mounted trans cooler, so it won't allow the trans temp to get over coolant temp.

What kinda failures did you see running pushlok hose with transmission fluid?
I checked mine today and with around 300k miles and 14 years the Eaton Aeroquip hose is barely brittle on the cover. But no leaks yet.
Wondering what brand you have used and it not hold up long.
I have the same age Aeroquip running gas from the pumps to fuel rails too. The Ethanol hasnt eaten it up yet.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
What kinda failures did you see running pushlok hose with transmission fluid?
I checked mine today and with around 300k miles and 14 years the Eaton Aeroquip hose is barely brittle on the cover. But no leaks yet.
Wondering what brand you have used and it not hold up long.
I have the same age Aeroquip running gas from the pumps to fuel rails too. The Ethanol hasnt eaten it up yet.

Russell Twist-lock.

I had the trans cooler lines fail after a few hundred miles on my TH400, unfortunately.

Also noticed the other day, the ends of the hose where the fittings were installed are now cracking on the twist-lock hose.

Maybe a year old.

I've gone ahead and replaced my trans lines with the PTFE lines braided stainless. I'm also going to replace all of my fuel lines with the PTFE lined stuff too.

If I remember when I get to my shop after work, I'll take some pictures of the fuel lines. Especially showing how they've shrunk, hardened and pulled from the fittings.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea id like to see that if you would post pics in this thread. Ive never used Russel hose, only their fittings.

PolarBear

BORKBORKBORKBORK
Reaction score
Yea id like to see that if you would post pics in this thread. Ive never used Russel hose, only their fittings.

I'm glad I found it prior to starting it up with the new setup.

You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh wow. Never seen that before. You have one fail or just noticed it one day?
That looks similar to Eaton aeroquip style hose. I'll have to go check all the ends on my stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drove the truck to town today. Ran some errands and stopped by my buddy's body shop for him to look at the fiberglass repairs needed on the bed and he wanted to see the turbo setup.

Puttin a 5.3/60E in a old Nova wagon for him in trade for the body and paint work.

Trans temps still slowly climb now that the trans cooler is mounted out front.
Talked to my 2 trans builders and they both think it could be something in the TCC circuit. Since trans runs fine but no flow at idle thru the cooler lines.

First option is to try some Lube guard fluid additive. If that doesn't fix it then I'll have to pull trans again.
Might try this.

https://www.sonnax.com/parts/1989-lube-regulated-pressure-regulator-valve

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Does the truck not really move for 30 seconds after a cold start? Both of mine do that.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can fire it up and take off. It acts normal as can be. Just no fluid flow at cooler ports and it slowly warms up till I shut it down at 200*
Does the truck not really move for 30 seconds after a cold start? Both of mine do that.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No fluid flow at cooler ports means no fluid flow period, unless you installed an afternarket thermostat.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One my builders said it could be the pressure regulator in the pump. Which means flow throughout the trans but no cooler port flow.
So we will see.

Builder of this trans wants me to check pressures and go from there.
No fluid flow at cooler ports means no fluid flow period, unless you installed an afternarket thermostat.