1989 Chevy K2500 ECLB 350/SM465 "CayenneCheyenne"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtBag

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great job! Your persistence and hard work is a great motivator for the rest of us.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I'm still having trouble with the clutch. It seems that something is up with the slave possibly. It was not pushing the clutch fork in far enough, and found a pushrod from the original 350, put that in temporarily to see, and it actually engages the clutch which is good. Problem is it's super long, so we are going back to the stock rod to see if that makes a difference. Might end up just cutting the pushrod down until it fits where it should be.

Updates to come!

gstubbz

Reaction score
So we ended up using a rod from the pedal to the master cylinder (from a spare master cylinder) as the rod for the slave. It works! It's hood but it works. It's also drivable, although you have to push the clutch almost to the firewall but no grinding.

Still dunno wtf with the slave but at least it's drivable now!

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Reaction score
Glad to see you got it running again, what's next?

Thank you!! I have a few things to button up first, mainly check engine lights, get a muffler on it, all the emissions stuff so I can at least smog it and be legal. I'm too much of a wuss to drive things down the highway that aren't legal because I have bad timing when I see highway patrols lol.

Onward with the TURBO!! ha
Glad it's up an moving

I want a turbo! The kit is like $800 on ebay for a SBC. And me too, it's so nice to drive it again without an engine knock.

-------------------

So I put 30ish miles on it tonight driving it down backroads. The headlights absolutely blow so I'm going to find the stock plastic ones and put them on along with a grille and a front bumper next. It drives okay, front end is still trash and is all over the road. I wish I didn't need to push the pedal damn near to the floor before it engages, so I will need to come up with a better idea than the pedal pushrod. Oil pressure gauge on the dash must not work because it pegs out and has done that with all three engines that have been in it.

It's getting cold over here, it was 34*F when I left about 10:30pm. With that said, I'm glad the red truck is running and driving now and not later. Leaves started falling from trees yesterday in droves. The heater in this truck also kicks major ass! It's toasty on the medium setting and the high setting is just way too hot which is a good thing. Way better than the race truck.

Speaking of which, I thought for sure the 93 would be faster than this, but I guess those two extra cylinders pushing a much heavier truck still makes it win races. I'm used to shifting into 5th with the 93, and I go to do it in this truck and can't lol damn 4 speeds. And I got to experience the SM465 whine all over again! The 89 is still slow, I might throw on a Edelbrock performer TBI intake and the MSD coil from the old engine but I do miss the RV cam the old engine had! Within probably 5 minutes of the first drive we started trying burnouts, and it still does a one wheel peel with ease!

Also at some point I need to get those 265 tires with better tread mounted, as well as paint the ugly rims black. I just want to get it in a bit better shape before snow hits the ground. I'm contemplating finding and installing a snow plow and using it this winter for that so I could possibly make some extra money. I dig this truck because it's a beater. I'm just hoping for more than a month out of this new 350, hopefully for a long time!