94 K1500 SM465 Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello y'all, considering swapping my 94 K1500 with a 350 tbi and 4l60e to a SM465 manual transmission.

Theres one near me for a steal of a price.

I know it has OD, but the truck only gets driven around town as a weekend rig for fun, never really hits more than 45-50mph.

How hard would it be to do this swap as oppose to an NV3500? I have a 27 spline NP241C for a transfer case, so not sure if that'd give me problems.

Other than that I know I'd need the other typical manual swap stuff for it, and to get the 4l60e tuned out.

Just making sure that the SM465 would bolt up to my 350tbi and if any modifications would be needed.

Thanks!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yep, it'll bolt up just fine, just going to have to verify the spline count on the t-case like you already said.

Do you have a source for the clutch pedal and brake pedal assemblies? After that get a new clutch, flywheel, MC, Slave, etc for a 1988 K3500.

It is a strong transmission but its essentially a 3-speed with granny, HD truck transmission. Its not smooth or quiet and the shifts are long and sometimes grindy.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello y'all, considering swapping my 94 K1500 with a 350 tbi and 4l60e to a SM465 manual transmission.

Theres one near me for a steal of a price.

I know it has OD, but the truck only gets driven around town as a weekend rig for fun, never really hits more than 45-50mph.

How hard would it be to do this swap as oppose to an NV3500? I have a 27 spline NP241C for a transfer case, so not sure if that'd give me problems.

Other than that I know I'd need the other typical manual swap stuff for it, and to get the 4l60e tuned out.

Just making sure that the SM465 would bolt up to my 350tbi and if any modifications would be needed.

Thanks!
SM465 was offered from the factory until 91. You need a 32 spline on the transfer case. See below
Yep, it'll bolt up just fine, just going to have to verify the spline count on the t-case like you already said.

Do you have a source for the clutch pedal and brake pedal assemblies? After that get a new clutch, flywheel, MC, Slave, etc for a 1988 K3500.

It is a strong transmission but its essentially a 3-speed with granny, HD truck transmission. Its not smooth or quiet and the shifts are long and sometimes grindy.
My daily driver has a SM465, 3.73 gears and 33s. I rarely go over 45 and I always wish that I could have another gear. It definitely doesn't shift smooth and it isn't quiet or quick to shift even though it was rebuilt 2500 miles ago. Not being quick to shift is tough when you want to grab another gear quickly like in sand, mud or hurting the feelings of imports who think that they're fast. I also always start in 2nd gear and drive it like it is a 3 speed.