94 5 speed swap slave & master

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did not bench bleed it, just hooked all up and gravity did it.
Ok thank you! Definitely going to gravity bleed mine. There was no way I would fit the prebled system in there so I got the master and slave separate, and got a flexible braided stainless clutch line. Hopefully a good hour of gravity bleeding will do the trick!

90sprobs

Reaction score
Just replaced the master and slave on my 92. I like to fill the reservoir and cycle the slave by pushing the end on the trans bell housing. Pushes all the air up and out the master. I used Luk brand.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just replaced the master and slave on my 92. I like to fill the reservoir and cycle the slave by pushing the end on the trans bell housing. Pushes all the air up and out the master. I used Luk brand.
Thank you! I will do that too before gravity bleeding to try and get some air out initially.

I also used Luk brand for everything, including the clutch and flywheel. I bought “Napa” brand but it’s just reboxed Luk. I work at Napa so I got a good discount on everything.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, so questions thats kind of related to the previous messages.

1. What is the best way to press in a new pivot ball stud on the nv3500/5lm60?

I dont just want to beat it with a hammer and possibly screw it up, and not sure a rubber mallet would be able to do it.

Thought about using a long socket and then a hammer but still fear that'd damage the pivot ball.

Anyone got any good ideas about pressing it in? I bought a kit from All-State gear with the fork, pivot ball and a remover tool, just don't know the best way to install the new one.

2. What is the hole on the bottom for? Is it for putting grease in or something? Does it need to be installed in a certain orientation to accommodate for that small hole?

Heres the kit I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285288631217

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THANK YOU for this!!! Was having a terrible time bleeding the system today.

Tried the 2 person method and gravity bleeding, still had no pedal at all.

So I took the slave cylinder off and held it vertical(bleeder up, rod toward the ground) I then around 20 times pressed the slave cylinder all the way down and back up super slowly. The first pump a ton of fluid went down in the line and to the slave, immediately emptying my master. So I topped it off and kept at it. After those I went all the way down in the stroke of the rod and let up a little bit, then repeated that several times, then came all the way up in the stroke and went down slightly over and over.

Now my clutch is bled and it feels nice and firm! This is the method right here, works absolute wonders!

90sprobs

Reaction score

So I took the slave cylinder off and held it vertical(bleeder up, rod toward the ground) I then around 20 times pressed the slave cylinder all the way down and back up super slowly. The first pump a ton of fluid went down in the line and to the slave, immediately emptying my master. So I topped it off and kept at it. After those I went all the way down in the stroke of the rod and let up a little bit, then repeated that several times, then came all the way up in the stroke and went down slightly over and over.

Now my clutch is bled and it feels nice and firm! This is the method right here, works absolute wonders!

Glad you got it sorted. The nice part about this method is it doesn’t matter if you empty the master. Where as the traditional bleeding you’d have to start over essentially. I will say these trucks are one of the more difficult clutches to bleed, but glad it worked well for you.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I am a little worried here. I think I got all the air out of the system but just pressing the clutch it doesn’t really feel like it’s disengaging all the way. I press the clutch and near the floor it feels like it starts to disengage, but it feels like it’s not fully disengaging before the pedal reaches the end of its travel. Any advice? Maybe more bleeding?