Nv3500 swap interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi, looking into swapping my 94 k1500 with the 4l60e to a nv3500.

Thing is, a stock 94 with an nv3500 would’ve had an external slave cylinder, but in my area people only seem to be selling internal slave cylinder nv3500s from later years(96-98ish)

Question is, can I swap in an nv3500 with an internal slave cylinder into my 94 truck that if it came out of the factory with an nv3500 would’ve had an external slave cylinder?

Thanks!

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up an external slave NV3500 a few years ago. If at all possible I would stay with an external slave just to avoid the potential problems with an internal slave.

If you do go with an internal slave check the clutch master cylinder differences between the model years and if there are none you will be fine. If there are differences source a master that aligns with your internal slave transmission.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up an external slave NV3500 a few years ago. If at all possible I would stay with an external slave just to avoid the potential problems with an internal slave.

If you do go with an internal slave check the clutch master cylinder differences between the model years and if there are none you will be fine. If there are differences source a master that aligns with your internal slave transmission.
Thanks for the response, where would I find the information on the master cylinder changes for the years?

Are all external master cylinders the same and all internal master cylinders the same? Or is it something that changes throughout the years?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe all of the external slaves are the same and all of the internal slaves are the same.

I would look at Rock Auto or a parts store listing for model year trucks that have external slaves and model years with internal slaves to see if the part number changed. Often the description of the clyinder will include its bore.

You did not say where you are getting your pedals and clutch master cylinder from but if you get them from a truck that is the same vintage as the transmission with the internal slave you should be in good shape.

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe all of the external slaves are the same and all of the internal slaves are the same.

I would look at Rock Auto or a parts store listing for model year trucks that have external slaves and model years with internal slaves to see if the part number changed. Often the description of the clyinder will include its bore.

You did not say where you are getting your pedals and clutch master cylinder from but if you get them from a truck that is the same vintage as the transmission with the internal slave you should be in good shape.
Ok thanks!

Theres a guy selling a swap for an internal slave near me. Clutch pedal, transmission, tcase and everything. With master. So I'd have the pedals for an internal slave truck, and the master cylinder aswell.Was just making sure the swap is possible on a truck that would've came with an external slave, glad to hear it is!