1989 Chevy K2500 ECLB 350/SM465 "CayenneCheyenne"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is it I just found this thread? Well since it's smokey outside and no way I'm working outside in that I was able to read the thread. Your always finding good parts trucks...lucky. It's coming along pretty good and it'll look badass as a sas.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
How is it I just found this thread? Well since it's smokey outside and no way I'm working outside in that I was able to read the thread. Your always finding good parts trucks...lucky. It's coming along pretty good and it'll look badass as a sas.

Ahhh now you get to read about my 89! This was a truck I really liked, it was fast for being a TBI and having 3.42s, and I really wish it lasted more than a month. But not to worry I can drive it soon again!! As far as the SAS goes there is a 6 lug axle laying around that I can use for the project for the meantime. And with a SM465 it makes it easy to use a passenger side drop transfer case. Parts trucks have been coming my way it seems lately. If you need anything let me know and maybe I'll make a trip to Red Bluff or something.

And the smoke has been horrendous up here, this morning I could not see a mile over the valley. It's clearing up a bit but that Ponderosa fire sounds nuts!

Last edited:

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya you've got a couple projects going on, just let me know if you wanna take one off your list. Only thing I've been doing is the 94 which is basically just cleaning parts and sandblasting but also looking for parts for step dads truck, Michigan rust.

There's the ponderosa fire that's getting ash into redding but also have Helena fire in trinity county that just started an is 5k acres last I checked so it's pretty bad smoke.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Starting to get the ball rolling on this truck again since I haven't got to work on my new 98. I pulled the engine from my donor 95 k1500 truck. This engine runs really well actually! Ran it before I pulled it. Had a friend the other day help me removing wiring and the core support, I did the rest by myself today. I've pulled like 5 engines in these trucks so I'm getting quick!

It's a greasy pig for sure. I'm going to clean it up and prepare to install it in the 89. I have my second interview for a job next week on Monday, so depending on when they want me to start work I can get the engines swapped.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

gstubbz

Reaction score
Cleaned up the new engine quite a bit. It's not perfect but it is pretty clean now! I thought I took a photo after cleaning but I guess I didn't. Burned through a gallon of purple power and two cans of engine degreaser! I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Also started tearing down the truck to pull it's engine. The only thing I need to do is remove the hood and unbolt the exhaust, everything else has been taken care of. The bellhousing bolts were a pita like usual, and I realized if I pulled the transmission crossmember I could lower the trans and get to the bolts easier. I'm used to pulling these things out all in one shot.

Either way, plan for tomorrow is to pull the old engine and hopefully get the new one at least in place. If I bust it out I can probably drive it on Sunday.

gstubbz

Reaction score
I woke up at 4am this morning, and watched the sun rise which I like never do! But I just took a photo of the cleaned engine. I'll get to working on the truck when it gets warmer outside.

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Throw a sweater in an get to work hah. Nights have been getting pretty cold lately, but I'll take the cold over the heat, as a kid I could handle it but once I graduated couple years ago just feel shirty in 110+
Engine is looking pretty clean.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Had to do other things today but I just got it out. Doing this in gravel sucks so bad. The other guy was having a garage sale in the space I use to work on trucks so I pretty much said screw it I just want to get this done.

I only wanted to burn the truck down three times doing this, down from my typical five.

Last edited:

Caspian

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there, done that on gravel.. along with Transmissions and Axles... It's not fun, 3/4" plywood does help though!

Subbed for more man! Can't wait to see how this turns out lol.

gstubbz

Reaction score
Throw a sweater in an get to work hah. Nights have been getting pretty cold lately, but I'll take the cold over the heat, as a kid I could handle it but once I graduated couple years ago just feel shirty in 110+
Engine is looking pretty clean.

I like winters where it rains all the time and we don't get snow. Snow just makes me not want to do anything at least rain winters are warmer lol. Also not a fan of blazing heat, it's been perfect temperature wise here in the days lately. Come night time it's been chilly! Down in the 30s some nights.

Been there, done that on gravel.. along with Transmissions and Axles... It's not fun, 3/4" plywood does help though!

Subbed for more man! Can't wait to see how this turns out lol.

I swore after my 94 6.5 project I would never do another engine swap in dirt. Ate my own words there. I'd rather do this in a parking lot rather than this lameness!

And thank you for the sub! I honestly don't know where this will go either, I plan on making my new 98 k3500 into what I wanted this truck to be, but with a Vortec 454 and a NV4500 not a 350 TBI and a SM465! I liked this truck a ton too!

For the meantime I just want to make it run so I can drive it and put different rims and tires on it, maybe primer the entire truck or something. May sell it later on too. All up in my imagination for now!

---------------

Other news, the pilot bearing is part number B657 from NAPA , and cost me $18. Fits the SM465 input shaft, but also looks to be the same size as the NV3500 bearing. Stupid expensive for something that tiny. Good thing I didn't need to purchase another complete clutch kit like I did for my 93 a few weeks back. I just have bad luck apparently!

I did get the new engine halfway inside the bay tonight. An exhaust stud is broken so I need to remove that and install the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc on the new engine. At least that stuff only has like 600 miles on it if that!

I'm done messing with this thing for the weekend. I'll come back to it in a few days. Bought all the new fluid I needed today as well. It was disappointing to see all the new coolant I bought with less than a month of use be all over the ground. But it seems I do things twice! Two engines in my red truck this year and two transmissions in my 93!

Dreading mating it to the SM465. I'm hopeful it isn't a massive pain for once but I'm more than likely wrong.

Bonus extra pic. 4 GMT400s in one shot, and my Dodge since @GarrettGmc leaves me to be the only mirror moose left over here. Just thought it was neat! 98 dually truck is the next contestant in this row!