4l80e to sm465

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jspr

Reaction score
I have a 1999 suburban c2500 with L29 7.4L. I've dug around on here for several days to see if I could find what I'm looking for, but no luck.... but forgive me if I missed it.

Anyway, I want to put the sm465 behind the 454. What I'm not sure about, and my specific question is: Is the ECM going to care as far as making the engine run correctly if I do this. Not worried about speedo or ABS. I shut my ABS down years ago, and I have some ways in mind to deal with the speedo that aren't related to the transmission. All I want to know here, is will the ECM act normally as far as making the engine run if the 4l80e gets unplugged???

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should run fine. Check engine light be on for some sort of trans failure. You should be able to use ur t-case, so VSS will work...nevermind, ur a 2 wheeler lol....

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yea, engine side will be fine.

I'm a huge fan of the SM465 (its what I have in my Plow truck in my avatar) but its essentially a dump truck trans. I'm just curious why your switching from a relatively bulletproof 4-speed auto with OD to a clunky 3-speed manual?

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
How do you plan to do clutch pedal stuff ? Its 95-up hydro parts for the cab and hydro throwout bearing on face of man trans offered then .

Sm465 is mech or few external slave units . Plus more rare is correct aluminum top shifter cover with correct shifter position for gmt400 .

And lack of over drive will suck if lots of driving . I would look for a nv4500 setup or lighter duty nv3500 if not towing a heavy load . Then this gets you a option for factory ecm program and electric speedo sensor to keep it happier.

What ever you do good luck and keep us posted .

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do you plan to do clutch pedal stuff ? Its 95-up hydro parts for the cab and hydro throwout bearing on face of man trans offered then .

Sm465 is mech or few external slave units . Plus more rare is correct aluminum top shifter cover with correct shifter position for gmt400 .

And lack of over drive will suck if lots of driving . I would look for a nv4500 setup or lighter duty nv3500 if not towing a heavy load . Then this gets you a option for factory ecm program and electric speedo sensor to keep it happier.

Hydraulic slave. I have this on my Jeep with a standard Chevy bellhousing and my SM465. Everything Wilwood that I've had has failed miserably multiple times.

sweetk30

c3500-HD
Reaction score
Hydraulic slave. I have this on my Jeep with a standard Chevy bellhousing and my SM465. Everything Wilwood that I've had has failed miserably multiple times.

Yes could work but still need to make hydro stuff work if using stock cab stuff over all aftermarket .

Years ago i mated a 85-91 square body hydro to a gmt400 early hydro slave and it worked . But 95-up not played with them other than stock .

Jspr

Reaction score

Planning for hydro throwout. I have an OEM clutch pedal assembly, but I think it's for pre-96. I'm thinkin wilwood has something that will work pretty easy also. The sm465 will serve my purposes, but will also be putting taller tires on that will knock some RPM's off. Not worried about cruising on the highway at least not at the speed limit for long distances. Either way, 1:1 is fine.