1989 Arctic Fox Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
it's just a grey wire, at least in the 2 door version. don't need to ground and wires either

Sent from my 350 powered iPhone

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well its been a while since i've messed with my truck let alone driven it. lol Buying a house takes all the fun outta everything else haha. So gotta little update was off today and started getting bored, so i started messing with the tailgate bowtie which i want to paint.

You must be registered for see images attach

Which way should i paint it? BTW the masking tape is the almost exact color I'm painting it.

I'm leaning more towards the blue just being the small stripe. What y'all think?

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Well its been a while since i've messed with my truck let alone driven it. lol Buying a house takes all the fun outta everything else haha. So gotta little update was off today and started getting bored, so i started messing with the tailgate bowtie which i want to paint.

Which way should i paint it? BTW the masking tape is the almost exact color I'm painting it.

I'm leaning more towards the blue just being the small stripe. What y'all think?
I agree in the small stripe. Subtle but noticeable.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I plan on painting it as soon as the weather is around 60 - 70 degrees. Guess we'll see how it looks then!

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Question when you painted the truck. How did it turn out where you taped off the sections? I painted my blazer and the taped off section isn't the best in my opinion. In some areas at the tape line at the windows the paint separated from the body. I want to paint my truck some day but think I should strip everything off the body so I can paint it without having to tape anything off. I cleaned everything before hand and used compressed air to make sure all the cleaner was gone.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question when you painted the truck. How did it turn out where you taped off the sections? I painted my blazer and the taped off section isn't the best in my opinion. In some areas at the tape line at the windows the paint separated from the body. I want to paint my truck some day but think I should strip everything off the body so I can paint it without having to tape anything off. I cleaned everything before hand and used compressed air to make sure all the cleaner was gone.

Well, to begin the body shop painted the bottom blue portion first, then the silver, then the top blue portion. They clear coated each section separately I believe(Cant remember exactly). If you are talking about where the silver and blue connect it was rough after it came outta the paint booth. They made me wet sand it with 1000 or more grit sandpaper, both the bottom and the top portions. I covered up the top connection with wide silver pin-striping and a thick and thin lined pearl blue colored pin-striping over top the silver striping.

If you're talking about the area between the bed and the cab it looks like crap because i kept the bed on while it got painted. Don't look in between there :p I had my windshield replaced while at the body shop to see if there was any rust to clean up(which there wasn't). I also had all the weather-striping around the front doors and the side windows on the doors off to get as much paint coverage as possible. I even had the rocker panels painted. My flares were clear coated too.

I can get some close up pictures of the seams if you want to show you a little better how mine was painted by the professionals i went to.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I thought I uploaded these a long time ago. Guess not :rofl: Here's the bowtie right after the paint was dry.

Here's the truck before (with my name platidipped on my door of the cavy :nono: :rofl:)

And with the bowtie:

Now all I need is a tailgate handle bezel.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Well, to begin the body shop painted the bottom blue portion first, then the silver, then the top blue portion. They clear coated each section separately I believe(Cant remember exactly). If you are talking about where the silver and blue connect it was rough after it came outta the paint booth. They made me wet sand it with 1000 or more grit sandpaper, both the bottom and the top portions. I covered up the top connection with wide silver pin-striping and a thick and thin lined pearl blue colored pin-striping over top the silver striping.

If you're talking about the area between the bed and the cab it looks like crap because i kept the bed on while it got painted. Don't look in between there :p I had my windshield replaced while at the body shop to see if there was any rust to clean up(which there wasn't). I also had all the weather-striping around the front doors and the side windows on the doors off to get as much paint coverage as possible. I even had the rocker panels painted. My flares were clear coated too.

I can get some close up pictures of the seams if you want to show you a little better how mine was painted by the professionals i went to.

Around the door jams and the windows. I used door jam tape inside the jams and it wasnt the best. I also removed all weather stripping before paint and it is coming up in some spots. I have yet to wet sand.

Love the bow tie on the tailgate, the blue outline adds a nice touch