1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do not even bother with that 383 for that cash you're most of the way towards a 6.0 swap.

Trailer looks great man. As Gaffigan says "oh that's what I forgot for camping - my house!"

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you keep it TBI you have to keep it completely stock, you can't modify the tuning properly if you change displacement/cam etc. I dunno if you saw the threads but we tried to get my friends TBI 383 to work for 4 years with no luck.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I've seen quite a few people with TBI 383s that work properly. I haven't looked into it much, most of it is just dreams right now anyway. I've also thought of a TBI454 as well. I know they aren't anything special but it would be a torque monster like I want.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
6.0 all day way more power all over the map. Cheaper to do and more reliable and more mpg and 1000000% better tuning.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
This is true, I wouldn't mind a 6.0L either..... Or even an 8.1L for that matter (lets face it, i'm the king of impracticality in alot of ways)

Anyway, did a little fiddling with the trailer again tonight. First thing is my water pump won't self prime, after taking it apart and all that about 20 times I've determined that the diaphragm is just too old. I got ahold of the manufacturer (shurflo) and they don't sell parts for it so I'm going to try and find a deal on a new one. For now I can manually prime it by pulling water through it and it works fine after. I also messed with the fridge and got it working on propane. I don't know if it will cool down or not at this point and plan to wait to see after I pull it out and clean it up a bit. I also messed with the hot water tank. I wasn't able to get the pilot lit so I pulled the lines and found the orifice was plugged. Cleaned it up and now I have a working hot water! I also got all the interior light lenses cleaned up, surprisingly the plastic has not yellowed at all, but they were just dirty inside.

I also received my set of GMC hubcaps for it! Tomorrow It's going on it's second outing, this time a bit farther from home (about 4 hours each way). Should be the last time pulling with the 3.73 gears as well, as I ordered a set of 4.56s Monday.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well it survived another trip. :D I ran out of fuel like an idiot 1 mile from town. Apparently GM doesn't want me to use the remaining 3 gallons in my tank cause I could only get 23 in there out of 26. Anyway, I have this week off school and work, so we will be re-gearing the truck soon, and repairing more on the trailer.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pics from the trip? and you have a short bed, so it should be only a 23 gallon tank to begin with