1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Welp, it happened. I ended up picking this 95 Alpenlite Silverton 11' camper...

Bet you don't think my trailer is quite so big anymore, hey?

That is one big slide in.....

:)

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How big is your trailer becuase my family's travel trailer is pretty big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
If that is the price then I will take it!:)
I will be selling it and hopefully not really hurt from it. It'll help pay for a few things, one of which is going to be a flatdeck trailer.

Nice find! I love Alpenlites, they are great units! You did the right thing by trying to find fiberglass. I looked at a few years ago when I bought one. I used to have a Lance 920.

I'm sure your dually will haul that thing 1,000,000 times better than my old Powerjoke would. That thing was scary sometimes even with airbags on it.
After knowing a few people who've had SRW blowouts with campers, including one that went on it's side on the highway less than 20 miles from their house.... I refuse to use a SRW truck and camper combo. Which is exactly why I bought a dually.

Sorry to see the trailer go after all that work you put into it. Someone's gonna get a helluva rig!
Like'n the camper though.
When I had my last square body (3/4t, 8600gvw) I was looking into one of these. But at the time the were too new & too much $$$.

There's an R.V. dismantler up the valley. He's got one of these in his yard, just in a smaller version. Looked at it a few times, but it's so far gone it's not worth rebuilding. Too bad, 'cause between me & my ex-foreman from working on aircraft (similar shapes) could apply our experience & knowledge from that to really do it up.

You must be registered for see images

Yoder Toter Silver Shadow
I really love the aluminum rigs! Airstreams are neat but they are heavy for what they are. Another favorite of mine is the GMC eleganza motorhomes. They are constructed like aircraft as well.

Bet you don't think my trailer is quite so big anymore, hey?

That is one big slide in.....

:)
Your trailer is still quite large. The biggest thing I'm going to have to get used to is the change in driving style. Adding that much weight to the truck itself feels much different compared to the trailer. Something about having tires and brakes on the trailer maybe?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Listed the Nomad on craigslist, currently have 3 people who want to look at it tonight... So I clean it up. Decided I didn't want to deal with unloading the camper so the red truck is making what I hope is the final pull of it.

Likely the last time I'll see this combination. Just over 4 good years of service to me.

Old VS new.

Neb15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wow found the build doing a camper thread search here. Good inspiration for my little 8' slide in im fixing (if you interested to check it out http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?29634-old-miller-beastly/page3) so ill have to go back and finish reading. What/where did find/use to replace the outside corner edging or was it saveable? your new rig reminds me of my buddy's for shear size, good call on the fiberglass and steel im sure it will save a lot of hassle in the future.

Last edited:

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
wow found the build doing a camper thread search here. Good inspiration for my little 8' slide in im fixing (if you interested to check it out http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?29634-old-miller-beastly/page3) so ill have to go back and finish reading. What/where did find/use to replace the outside corner edging or was it saveable? your new rig reminds me of my buddy's for shear size, good call on the fiberglass and steel im sure it will save a lot of hassle in the future.

Thanks! The outside edging / trim was all re-used on the camper.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
He and his wife seemed to really like it. Was their first RV, they seemed outdoorsy so it seemed like a good fit.
Just finished reading this thread, all 30 pages! That was some incredible work you did on it, and neat to see the truck updates too. You're fortunate to have the skills and initiative to tackle a project like this, and it turned out beautifully.