1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Yeah, it's surprising how shoddily these things are built.

Anyway, no pictures but last night the siding was put back on the lower portion, I sorted out all the trailer light wiring, and the water system was hooked back up and tank filled.

The outside lighting was a mess. Someone put one of those converters in for vehicles that have separate turn signals on the trailer side, and all the rear clearance lights were disconnected. I got it all sorted out and now have functioning lights.

As far as plumbing goes, thus far, I need one new line for the hot water heater and a seal kit for the water pump (both leak slightly when at pressure). The fresh water tank is in the front of the trailer so it accounts for the tongue weight that I need (37 gallon tank is quite a bit) and when it's filled, it tows much, much better. Made a trip to town and back, about 14 miles or so. Prior to having it filled there is maybe 150 LBS of tongue weight.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well, I took a sorta break this weekend and did a tent camping trip. It was nice to get away from the trailer for awhile.

But, I'm back at it. Got the floor epoxied.
You must be registered for see images attach

Storage Compartment

Bathroom (through the window since I can't walk in it yet)

And I spent a few hours taking the stove apart and cleaning. The top was a little rough, and not all the rust was removed but it looks WAY better.

Tomorrow I'm going to turn to the truck, get the trailer brake controller wired back up.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow you sure have a project on your hands with that one, you gonna sell it once its done?

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have entirely more patience or time than I have and it's turning out very nicely.

I've been looking for a deal on a slide-in pop-up, but I just won't allow myself to get into another project oriented $$$ saving adventure.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
So I started working more this week, which has really killed my progress. I did get a big 50lb box of parts today! Nothing too exciting, mostly stuff to replace vents on the roof and seal up the windows/doors/siding

Tonight I was letting the floors dry more and instead turning to the truck. I got my towing mirrors installed. The left is the towing mirror, and the right is my OEM mirror.

Before:

After - Retracted. They are almost identical to the OEM mirrors, except they have the adjustment sleeve and stick out just a hair farther.

After - Extended. I think these will let me see around that pesky trailer.

Time to wire up some stuff. Found some nice 4 pair 12 guage wire in rubber sheath. Running that for trailer 12+, trailer brakes, backup lights and parking lights.

Wired in some circuit breakers for the trailer 12+ and trailer brakes.

Wired in a plug for the trailer brake controller. I even used the same plug that 99-02 GMT800 trucks use and mounted it under the dash. Ignore the blue tape on the controller, I was using it to hold it together for the moment.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Well, I got the truck all wired up. I wired in a relay to power the trailer's running lights instead of using the trucks circuit. I've honestly burned up two headlamp switches towing my dad's flat trailer prior to it being converted to LED, so this will eliminate future problems. I also wired in a switch and relay for the backup lights and ran wiring to the 7-way plug, and left a pigtail for adding backup lights on the rear of the truck. I had some at one point but took them off when I rebuilt the hitch. Anyway, I got this all done and gave the trailer a tug around the neighborhood. First thing is first, towing mirrors are great. I need to grab some convex mirrors for them still but SO much better, I can actually see down the side of the trailer.

And the bad news. Found out the trailer brake controller is no more. It knows the trailer is connected to the truck, but it doesn't actually engage the brakes. I've tested the controller, and it's not sending power to the plug when you press the pedal. All circuits are wired correctly as the controller knows the trailer is there. So I guess time to find another one.

Tomorrow I'm putting part of the trailer back together, and fixing the stud by the door. The goal is to take it out this weekend!!!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Look for a Curt 51120. Nice LED display, and they are fully electronic so they don't have to be installed level.