1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: 88GMCtruck is at it again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Well, Since I'm trying to take the trailer out this weekend I'm sorta in a pickle on finding a controller. The only one available locally is a Valley Journey HD, however I did find a used Tekonsha Primus IQ on craigslist for $50, so I'll probably pick that one up. It's a proportional controller, doesn't need to me mounted level and also has a LED display.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Realized that I didn't have any pictures with the truck attached. Snapped a few this morning. I think the truck and trailer aren't very proportional....

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh, and if I didn't have a stepside, I'd hit the front overhang of the trailer while at full lock cornering. It's amazing how short the tongue is on this thing.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Anyway, I picked up that Tekonsha Primus IQ last night for $60. Wired it in and viola, trailer brakes work. And the work very well. We have a nice 8-9% grade right by my house, after adjusting it went down that hill and the trailer alone can slow the truck down. So I'm beyond happy with that.

Also got the water system hooked back up. After disassembling and cleaning the gaskets, the pump no longer leaks and the one hot water line is good now that I re-flared the end of it. The only water system problem as of now is the hot water side of the faucet needs a new o-ring.

After getting the tank filled I gave her a tug to town. Drove through a variety of conditions, very windy 60MPH highway, tight alleys, downtown, etc and it tows nice. With the tank full I get no sway, even if I try to induce sway the trailer straightens right out. So good news is I don't need to buy another hitch that has provision for sway control. And the proportional brake controller does a great job, I hardly know the trailer is there when stopping.

No class today, just about headed out there to replace the 2x4 stud by the door, and start putting some furniture back in!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
So... just got to work. Spent the entire morning repairing the right side wall. It was a little more damaged than I originally thought, but I was in there so replaced what needed it.

Took some siding off.

To repair this at the door, and these above the wheel well.

Door area repaired, and additional stud added for the dinette to mount to

Other side of wheel well repaired, and another additional stud added for the dinette to mount to

Back together

Sealed up the water fill and reflector, and installed with new screws.

Sealed the door with putty tape

Oh and just as I was finishing putting the door back on, a guy from town was walking by. He stopped and commented that he's been noticing all the work being put into it and how he's never heard of someone rebuilding a trailer, and that I'm doing a great job. Was a really nice thing to say.

Anyway, after work the stove, dinette and couch/bed goes back in, then packing for tomorrow!

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats awesome man, really quick progress. Now what you have to do is pull it across country and party the whole way.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
That is a close floorplan judging by the looks of it. Looks like it's a slightly longer trailer though

---------------------

Sorry to leave everyone out of the loop for the weekend, but Friday after work I stayed up till 2AM putting the insides back together then cleaning and loading the trailer. This is what she's looking like on the insides now. It's all back together, everything cleaned (even washed all the cusions and curtians) and the camping gear loaded.

Anyway, once it was together, I then got up at 6AM and got more things ready in the truck and I was off! So I took the trailer to Ione, Wa (over 3 hours north of me) for a bachelor party. Everything went very well overall. on the way up, the truck towed the trailer pretty good. Had quite the diverse drive; started off in the rolling hills of the Palouse desert, making the little over an hour trek to Spokane and into the city. Made my way trough the city to meet up with the other camping crew, and headed farther north along some long flat highway, then onto a single lane highway in the foothills. Eventually we made it to Ione, Wa, 26 miles from the Canadian border. From there we headed to Lake Sullivan, which was up in the mountains aways. so lots of narrow winding, eventually gravel roads ensued. I even managed to ford a small creek with the trailer to get to the camping area.

All in all, the trailer towed quite well. It didn't sway a bit or buck, which was great as I did not want to spend the money on a weight distributing hitch if I didn't have to. The brakes worked good and the bearings didn't get too hot. The only problem I had with the trailer overall is my water pump isn't self priming (have to manually pull water through it) and I ended up puncturing a hole in a trailer tire with a sharp rock, but we patched that up.

The truck towed the trailer good on the way up. I definitely know it was back there, but I managed to drive smart enough not to hold people up on the highway, in most cases i didn't drop under the speed limit but infact had enough power to gain speed. Everything was in check, even with the temp pushing 95 outside and the AC blasting. Motor was running about 200 and the trans about 180.

On the way back, however, like and idiot I put regular in the truck and it wasn't happy. My truck doesn't prefer regular while it's hauling and I simply wasn't thinking about it. So, I had BAD spark knock on the way home. Combined the regular fuel causing spark knock, plus triple digit weather, the motor was heating up more than I like it. I ended up leaving the AC off and even at one point turning the heater on to help out. The motor saw a peak of 240 at one point, trans saw 200. Nothing horrible, but just something to make note of.

All in all, it was a good time and I can't wait to take the trailer out again. Soon I'll be investigating why my hot water heater doesn't work, take the fridge out and see if I can get it working, and do a few other misc things. I'm also looking up gears for the truck and contemplating a motor for it. There is a nice 383 built with 460 FT LBS and 390 HP for $2,500 and a 7year 70k warranty somewhat locally. But for now I'm just going to settle for gears.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
I added up my costs thus far, and the grand total including the purchase, and licencing is $975.23. Not bad at all for what I have now. Probably going to have another few hundred into it when I repair the front and back walls, fix a few panels, and seal the whole thing up. There will be more to come, although at a possibly slower pace. I'm hoping to get into the water heater, heater and fridge this weekend.