10 bolt rear diff oil and gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What we used to do is turn the drive shaft and count how many times it turns until the wheel makes 1 revolution. Also, while the rear end is up in the air, turn 1 wheel, if the other turns in the same direction, it's a G80 (or posi). If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction it's a full floater.
I tried the driveshaft thing and it didn't work out for whatever reason.. I did that many times at yards the past month or two when searching for a donor rear end for my truck and the wife's. Internet suggested the two wheel rotation deal and that was most accurate when comparing those results to the RPO code in the respective truck's glove box. Supposedly I put a G80 3.42 in her truck two weeks ago, the two wheel rotation thing showed 3.5ish turns of the pinion though. So that either speaks to the accuracy of the method or I've got some GM truck differential ratio GM never made..

Clutch type limited slips behave like you mentioned but the GovBomb differentials will behave like an open diff with both wheels off the ground. You either have to start the truck & put it in gear to find out if it's a 'bomb or pull the cover off like I did at a yard. Oh and I think ya meant "open diff" and not full floater ;)

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I tried the driveshaft thing and it didn't work out for whatever reason.. I did that many times at yards the past month or two when searching for a donor rear end for my truck and the wife's. Internet suggested the two wheel rotation deal and that was most accurate when comparing those results to the RPO code in the respective truck's glove box. Supposedly I put a G80 3.42 in her truck two weeks ago, the two wheel rotation thing showed 3.5ish turns of the pinion though. So that either speaks to the accuracy of the method or I've got some GM truck differential ratio GM never made..

Clutch type limited slips behave like you mentioned but the GovBomb differentials will behave like an open diff with both wheels off the ground. You either have to start the truck & put it in gear to find out if it's a 'bomb or pull the cover off like I did at a yard. Oh and I think ya meant "open diff" and not full floater ;)

You can get a G80 to engage by hand with both wheels in the air, you just have to create enough of a wheel speed differential side to side.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said, nothing on this was right when I got it. That's not even close to the right bracket, but if it manages to get below 95 today, i'm putting the right one on and finishing up my gauge project

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's not a "kick down" cable, it's a TV (Throttle Valve) cable and it's critical that it is adjusted properly. Looking at your picture, it is not adjusted properly.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
I've adjusted that thing at least 40 times, and it shifts smooth and right on time. It wouldn't shift unless u backed off the pedal when I first got it.