10 bolt rear diff oil and gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only wiring i've touched is behind the dash and the vssb. At least the tweaker mf's didn't just electric tape everything

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dennis,
Look in the glove box for the decal with all the codes for installed equipment. If the decal is there, a GU6 code would indicate 3.42 gears and G80 (Gov-Loc) were original equipment. All bets are off if the POs swapped rear differentials though.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can figure out the approximate gear ratio by marking the pinion and tire with something, then spinning the tire 2 or 3 times (I forget which) and count how many times the pinion hits your mark that you made. So say it crosses ~3.5 times, you have a 3.42 gear set.
What we used to do is turn the drive shaft and count how many times it turns until the wheel makes 1 revolution. Also, while the rear end is up in the air, turn 1 wheel, if the other turns in the same direction, it's a G80 (or posi). If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction it's a full floater.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's absolutely nothing stock on this truck. The glove box cover is gray and the compartment itself isn't even there. I've been slowly piecing it back together and fixing everything within my capabilities. But none of it's been easy considering the only numbers that match anything is the VIN itself, and the tweakers it came from swapped EVERYTHING. I still haven't even figured out what engine is in it, and believe me, i've tried. I've just now got it to where it's almost mechanically sound enough to drive more than 10 miles away. It's on the verge of putting me in the poor house, and/or a mental facility, lol. Since January, i've easily got over $5000 in it, and I just bought a decent obd1, so hopefully that'll help move things along with a slightly smaller headache

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you feel like spending another $5, you could plug your VIN into compnine.com. They'll give you a complete list of all the RPO codes and their meanings, plus a bunch of other cool info. Might help you solve some of your mysteries.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If everything but the body and frame wasn't swapped out, the VIN would be extremely helpful. But in my case, it's completely useless

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I figured as much with all the weird part swaps, just thought it might be handy to see what's original to the truck and what isn't.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far, all I can tell that's original is the 700r4, and it's even been rebuilt with a shift kit. I think the motor came out of an older C4 and the rear end is possibly out of a C5. But that's just a hypothesis based on my process of elimination at this point. The engine was supposed to be fuel injected, but they converted it by adding the Edelbrock Performer intake with the TBI, which I hate. I'm eventually lookin to go old school with a 4 barrel 650 Performer

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far, all I can tell that's original is the 700r4, and it's even been rebuilt with a shift kit.
Are you sure it's a 700r4 (4L60)? In 92 GM had the 4L60E with PCM trans control.

. But that's just a hypothesis based on my process of elimination at this point. The engine was supposed to be fuel injected, but they converted it by adding the Edelbrock Performer intake with the TBI, which I hate.
Sorry but TBI is fuel injected.

I'm eventually lookin to go old school with a 4 barrel 650 Performer
Big mistake!

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Positive. The 4l60e doesn't have a kickdown cable running to the transmission. This one does. I've already checked the numbers from the housing, replaced the kickdown cable, flushed the system, and replaced the gasket and filter. But that would probably explain why there was another ECM that was i n the back floorboard when I got it.

You must be registered for see images attach