xXxPARAGONxXx’s 1999 Chevrolet K2500 Crew Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd rather have a 30 lb. cylinder, but everyone is free to DIY as they wish.

Supertech is $9.98 per 12 oz. which is $0.83 per oz.
DuPont is $449.99 per 30 lb. (480 oz.) which is $0.94 per oz.

$0.83 versus $0.94 per oz.

I would not call that a massive ripoff.

There's actually another place I found online that is $275 per 30 lbs., but I have not verified if they are legit, although they appear to be.

It is a massive ripoff when buying in bulk isn't cheaper. If I'd compared their 30# bottle to their 12oz bottles then yes, it weighs overwhelmingly in favor of their 30# bottle as they want 30 for 12oz. And working out of a can is not the same as from a 30# bottle. You can't use as nice of gauges and you can more accurately gauge how much freon has left the big tank by keeping an eye on its weight.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can more accurately gauge how much freon has left the big tank by keeping an eye on its weight.
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but isn't that more reason to use the 30 lb. cylinder? Or, did you mistype something?

In any case, there are other suppliers with cheaper prices than O'Reillys.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but isn't that more reason to use the 30 lb. cylinder? Or, did you mistype something?

In any case, there are other suppliers with cheaper prices than O'Reillys.

I think I typed it out correctly. Working from a 30# bottle is a better way to go. But it should be appreciably cheaper since it is in bulk. Sounds like it is if you know where to look. Which makes O'Reilly's a ripoff! :deal:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yea. Exciting stuff. I really need one of those digital manifold sets. Does this one have temperature probes?

$275 is a smoking deal nowadays. It wasn’t but 4 years ago I could get a 30lbr for $99.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yea. Exciting stuff. I really need one of those digital manifold sets. Does this one have temperature probes?

$275 is a smoking deal nowadays. It wasn’t but 4 years ago I could get a 30lbr for $99.

Re: the digital manifold set

The Fieldpiece SMAN does come with temperature clamps; they are wired though. If you want Fieldpiece's wireless temperature clamps, which work with the SMAN, you have to buy them separately. I plan on buying the Fieldpiece JL3KH6 System Charge and Air Kit which comes with wireless temperature clamps, wireless pressure probes, and wireless psychrometer probes (for residential HVAC use).

You must be registered for see images attach

Also need to buy the Fieldpiece scale which also works with the SMAN.

Re: the refrigerant

I just don't have full confidence in that company yet (Royalty Refrigerants). I've seen some good reviews online (a couple on Reddit), just not enough to go through with the purchase.

I called them and asked them for their legal business name in California, and the person answering the phone didn't know. He said I should e-mail the company to request it. Problem is, I did e-mail them in August 2023 and never received a reply. And the person on the phone said I could just purchase the refrigerant and if there's a problem, just don't buy again. I'm like, "Oh sure, I have $300 to **** away". What a moron.

I called Johnstone as they have a location somewhat close by my home, but they never answered the phone after about 30 minutes on hold. Sheesh...I guess I have to drive their in person. Thing is, I wanted to confirm whether they would sell refrigerant to private consumer or if the buyer has to be a licensed HVAC contractor (i.e., business).

This is why I might just go with O'Reilly. More money, yes, but way less hassle. Right down the road from me.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess living in Texas, you need to buy this in bulk. :flame:
30 lb. is overkill, admittedly. I probably need a maximum of 5 lbs. for all my vehicle needs.

Two of my vehicles use R-134a, the other R-1234yf. I plan on getting a [third] vehicle that uses R-134a (2002-2003 Ford F-250 Super Duty).

So, in reality, much of the R-134a will just remain in the cylinder unused (cross my fingers the cylinder does not leak over time). I suppose it's better to buy a 30 lb. cylinder now at the current price rather than later since prices will inevitably increase in the future as it becomes more scarce.

Perhaps I can use the remaining R-134a as needed if my in-laws need MVAC work done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333