Working on 99 GMT-400 dash around intruement cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've run for a couple of years without the panel around the instruments, radio, and HVAC controls. I pulled it in order to fix the HVAC controls and radio, and never got back to it. I'm working on it now......... I'm sick of driving a truck that looks like crap on the inside.

I can't believe how dirty my hands are after pulling apart the vents!

I noticed some gummy stuff covering two of the plastic tabs on each vent. What have you used to replace it? What kinds of things can I do to prevent everything from squeaking when I re-assemble? I see some foam pads on each metal clip. I may need to replace a few pads........ what materials have you used?

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
What most manufactures use now a days is felt where the panel contacts the dash. The gummy stuff is probably a residue from the rubber "gasket" to keep the vents sealed to the dash panel to prevent air leaks. I cleaned the hell out of my dash back when I got it and and remember seeing that stuff on it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What most manufactures use now a days is felt where the panel contacts the dash. The gummy stuff is probably a residue from the rubber "gasket" to keep the vents sealed to the dash panel to prevent air leaks. I cleaned the hell out of my dash back when I got it and and remember seeing that stuff on it.

Felt sounds like a good idea.

The gummy stuff isn't a residue. It's something that was put there purposely. It's like a tape, but made out of tar ( has a clay like texture) and is covered in clear plastic. The rubber you mention is still where it's supposed to be, and in good shape.

Last edited:

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
The gummy stuff isn't a residue. It's something that was put there purposely. It's like a tape, but made out of tar ( has a clay like texture) and is covered in clear plastic. The rubber you mention is still where it's supposed to be, and in good shape.

Oh ok I know what your talking about. I dont know exactly what it is. I willhave to pull out my spare dash and see.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep guys I pulled off my dash last night for paint. I went to remove the vents and wam-0, one side has little clips, one side has these little squares of adhesive (that are actually pretty tight) and still in good condition. I figured, like someone said, it has something to do with controlling leaks, etc. SO I just had to tape off the dang vents....Took a minute but ended up fine.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Yep guys I pulled off my dash last night for paint. I went to remove the vents and wam-0, one side has little clips, one side has these little squares of adhesive (that are actually pretty tight) and still in good condition. I figured, like someone said, it has something to do with controlling leaks, etc. SO I just had to tape off the dang vents....Took a minute but ended up fine.

Both sides have the plastic latches. The gummy stuff just covers them on that side.