Which coolant should I use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been considering changing to Evans waterless coolant. There are a lot of benefits on the side of keeping my Tahoe going for another 100 thousand plus miles. Any one tried it so far?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, both of my '97s have run Dex-Cool since new and I have no plans to change that. It's my understanding that the formula has been revised since the old gasket eating issues and that's no longer a problem. I'm of the opinion that as long as you keep up on maintenance and change Dex-Cool out every few years it's fine. The only time I've seen it cause issues is in cases of extreme neglect.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, both of my '97s have run Dex-Cool since new and I have no plans to change that. It's my understanding that the formula has been revised since the old gasket eating issues and that's no longer a problem. I'm of the opinion that as long as you keep up on maintenance and change Dex-Cool out every few years it's fine. The only time I've seen it cause issues is in cases of extreme neglect.
Yep and the original garbage intake gaskets.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The old stuff is a bright fluorescent green,the extended life is a darker translucent green.
Not knowing what was in there it may be better to do a good flush and start from scratch.
that’s what i was sorta planning on so i’ll go ahead and do that then thanks

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
All you need to know about this video is at 1:00-1:20 minute mark.
Not Changing DexCool every 2-3 years.
Crap lower intake manifold gaskets.
Green coolant should be changed as well.