Where to pass through firewall with wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97ChvyZ71

Reaction score
I have a 1997 , want to know best place to get through the firewall with a control harness for a led light bar.. I used just find a grommet big enough, don't see any at a glance.. Help.. :)

Last edited:

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same problem tried going through the door and eventually rubbed the wires so bad they shorted and light wouldn't work so I found the easiest thing to do is go to to your local parts store they should have rubber grommets the right size for just the wires to fit through, drill a hole the size of the grommet in the passenger side of the firewall below the heater core(not into the heater core lol) run the wires through and solder or use connectors (I used connectors so it could be quick and easy disconnect) and there ya go.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could also snake it through the pass side fender, into the door jamb area and through one of the holes there, or drill a new one. That's where I ran the power wire for my amps. It would put you right there beneath the dash already, just snake it along that piece of tubing and up to wherever you want to go.

CodeRed26

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could also snake it through the pass side fender, into the door jamb area and through one of the holes there, or drill a new one. That's where I ran the power wire for my amps. It would put you right there beneath the dash already, just snake it along that piece of tubing and up to wherever you want to go.

like I said I did the fender to door jam thing and it doesn't work out after time if you have regular passengers best cleanest look is drill the hole!

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
I had the same problem tried going through the door and eventually rubbed the wires so bad they shorted and light wouldn't work so I found the easiest thing to do is go to to your local parts store they should have rubber grommets the right size for just the wires to fit through, drill a hole the size of the grommet in the passenger side of the firewall below the heater core(not into the heater core lol) run the wires through and solder or use connectors (I used connectors so it could be quick and easy disconnect) and there ya go.

I did something similar to this, bought a grommet from an offroading store but replaced the radio antenna grommet with it and ran all of my wires through there. This is on an 88 though but I can't imagine that it would be too different.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I bought the rubber grommets (assorted sizes) and couldn't get them to work worth a damn. I think I drilled a hole in the pass side firewall and silicone the crap out of it.

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
Yeah I bought one that steps up in size but its still crunched in there cause it was either too big or too small haha

Sent from my propane-converted iPhone

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Yeah I bought one that steps up in size but its still crunched in there cause it was either too big or too small haha

Sent from my propane-converted iPhone
yeah I got one to work for light bar wiring but it barely worked. I don't think it's in all the way

sledog

Reaction score
Plastic grommets are the way to go. They will not ball up like others have mentioned. Can be purchased from any local stereo shop.

You must be registered for see images

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a better plan than what I did. I drilled about a 1/2 in hole and used about 3 inches of 3/8 (I think) fuel line to insulate the wires so they didn't rub.