What's going on with my 97?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nine7gmc

Reaction score
My truck has been having the same problem for a couple months now but is quickly becoming worse

When you depress the pedal over 1/3 of the way down my rpms raise and my truck sets still like it has an engine brake on it, well today during its little fit it began clunking in the bottom end and tranny and it doesn't seem to be getting any better

I have just recently done plugs, ignition wires, belt, idler, pulley and an oil change. All fluids are clean and smell fine and I can't figure out what's going on, is the tranny dying?

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has been having the same problem for a couple months now but is quickly becoming worse

When you depress the pedal over 1/3 of the way down my rpms raise and my truck sets still like it has an engine brake on it, well today during its little fit it began clunking in the bottom end and tranny and it doesn't seem to be getting any better

I have just recently done plugs, ignition wires, belt, idler, pulley and an oil change. All fluids are clean and smell fine and I can't figure out what's going on, is the tranny dying?

Is it only when starting from a dead stop in first gear, or is it any time that you try to accelerate? It does sound like the transmission is slipping badly.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I'll second that. Transmission seems to be slipping quite a bit and I'd blame the transmission

nine7gmc

Reaction score
It is whenever I accelerate, I was worried that would be the consensus but I guess it was only a matter of time before it went, time to look for a donor thanks guys

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Whenever you accelerate? If it's not just when you're switching gears maybe bad coil or really gummed up spark plugs....?
That's just a possibility and something I'd check out before replacing the transmission but I still would point to the transmission ultimately.

Edit: I just realized you said you did spark plugs and all so nevermind... coil maybe.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
That's exactly how my '94 acts, and she's slipping something terrible. Hoping to baby it just a 'lil while longer.