What the heck is this called? And what's its purpose in life?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been turning the wheels on ways to mount an auxiliary light bar. And I've seen these things, not a roll bar, but also not a light rack, that I believe would work well for my project. However I have no idea after extensively looking online what they are called, how to buy them, and what the heck they were created for; can anyone help me out?
You must be registered for see images attach

CamaroGuy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cab fairing. They are made of fiberglass and probably wouldnt support much weight.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Actually, that one specifically is their "Fastback" cab fairing. Racerback has like louvers, and a wing.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cab fairing. They are made of fiberglass and probably wouldnt support much weight.

Interesting. So this was a 90's fad and served no real purpose outside of what I assume it was marketed as better aerodynamics?

My thoughts were to mount two linear actuators to the sides of one of these things connecting to the top, where I would have cut out a rectangular section and mounted a 50" light bar to, that would sit flush and "hidden" when closed and extend over the top of the cab 4" or so when extended. Then in the back cut out and remove a rectangular section where I would mount a 3rd brake light/reverse spot light combo. Are these fairings structurally sound enough to support that weight? Especially wind against the 50" light bar when it is fully extended above the cab and I'm rolling down a bumpy road?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I'm not even sure it was for aerodynamics, maybe or probably more aesthetics, believe it or not.

sethel

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Crazy, Hmm I'm not sold an the aesthetics of these but I would be if I can repurpose it to provide a service. Like my lights, mounting an extinguisher to the side, etc, but I'm now concerned about what Patrick said about its structural integrity to do these things. And I assume I cannot use a tool box with these either unless it is floor mounted or rail mounted.