What is this harness above my steering column encased in foam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
That bottom one is for the truck cargo light! LOL, that is a suburban isn't it? AND you have the same one at the top as OP. I'm betting that's for the fog light switch.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That bottom one is for the truck cargo light! LOL, that is a suburban isn't it? AND you have the same one at the top as OP. I'm betting that's for the fog light switch.

So what happens if you plug them in lol. The cargo light didnt do anything but can I make this work for something else?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I'm really not sure where the harness ends when there's nothing on the other end to plug into.... I could guess, the cargo light switch output might terminate at the point where the rear lighting and speaker wiring is connected - at least in my ext cab, that's behind the driver side B-Pillar. You could definitely repurpose it.

Ha, I just got this funny idea of using it for an amp remote turn-on switch :lol:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its cools to have these plugs I was wanting to use the cargo light for a aftermarket light bar or something

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta be fog. I have rear glass release and rear wiper, but blank for a 3rd switch. No fog switch and extra harness. I have some extra wiring here so I may cut this off entirely and get rid of the bulk ...

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve got the same thing in mine (98 two door, tailgate with floor transfer case shift).

No clue what it’s for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Question for y'all. In your convenience center, is the position for the fog light relay on the far left pinned to accept a relay? If so, you could probe between pin B on the connector (yellow wire) and one of the relay contact pins in it. Or, switch connector pin E (purple wire) and the relay pins. If there's continuity, you now know what that connector is for. Or just go by the wire colors, gray, purple, black, yellow, brown.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
the escalade has rear wipers and an intermittent setting. I have a switch and I believe the plug as well, I wish I was smart enough to get the wiper motor n all the rest of it. I can take look and see if it matches.

Al

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question for y'all. In your convenience center, is the position for the fog light relay on the far left pinned to accept a relay? If so, you could probe between pin B on the connector (yellow wire) and one of the relay contact pins in it. Or, switch connector pin E (purple wire) and the relay pins. If there's continuity, you now know what that connector is for. Or just go by the wire colors, gray, purple, black, yellow, brown.

It doesn’t look like mine has the relay pins.

You must be registered for see images attach

My info shows the fog light connector was gray but the police DRL/radio switch was black.

The wiring colors for the fog light don’t match mine (white, black, gray, blue and red) and I couldn’t find the diagram for the police switch. Could also be for the no a/c rear heater control but wire colors don’t seem to match what is shown in the photo and link below.

It must be for some James Bond oil slick device.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech-every-possible-dash-switch-for-gmt400-trucks.15803/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk