What is this, and where does it go? (front differential)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

During the course of removing my front differential to access my oil pan, this spring part fell out from somewhere and I'm not sure where, or what it is called. Has anyone ran across this before? Truck is a 1994 k1500 Z71. Thanks in advance.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome. So I'm assuming this must have fell out of the inside somehow. Come to think of it for some reason I removed the actuator before dropping the differential. Just to be sure in this diagram is it 17 and 16? And if it is can I just drop it back in from the actuator hole, or do I need to take the differential apart to reinstall it? Thanks!

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It looks like the plunger is broken. I can't tell from the pic. There is a clip that holds the fork and other parts on it IF I remember correctly

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found a better diagram, and took some more pictures of the rod and the inside of the housing. When the rod fell out I found it with the spring on the rod flush against the mushroomed end.

From what I could tell with a flashlight, it Appears that everything inside of the housing is still intact and inline with everything. It looks like it would be as easy as sticking the spring and rod back through everything, then screw in the actuator behind it. But I'm not sure..I dont want to screw anything up, and I have zero experience when it comes to inside a differential. What do you guys think?

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and tested it. After getting the idea from the "4wd actuator redneck fix" thread, I inserted the shaft and spring back through the holes. It took a few wiggles to get it seated all the way. I then took a 3/4 shallow socket and placed it in the housing, followed by the actuator (simulating an expanded locked actuator). I turned the driveshaft pinion and behold, my axle shaft started spinning.

We are good to go! :biggun: