What gets wet to cause engine to die

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's good for lots of stuff other than "WHAT DO YOU HAVE THAT STICKS OR SQUEAKS?" (remember that commercial?) hah hah

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's good for lots of stuff other than "WHAT DO YOU HAVE THAT STICKS OR SQUEAKS?" (remember that commercial?) hah hah

mykytiuk

Reaction score
Back in the day when this would happen especially with point ignitions and on stationary power such as pumps or generators, if humidity had been high or it had rained we would wipe the inside of the distributor cap or spray it first with WD-40 and it would start just fine.

jean

Reaction score
97 c1500 4.3l and 97 suburban k1500 5.7l.
Both going through the car wash engine starts to stumble.
New caps rotor and wiring and plugs ac delco.
car wash that spays the under carriage.
open the hood engine dry as a bone.
Suburban has new crank sensor.
Any idea?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try a different car wash? I hate spraying water where it doesn't belong or where the truck wasn't designed to repel it. Or - WD40 the piss out of it!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Try a different car wash? I hate spraying water where it doesn't belong or where the truck wasn't designed to repel it. Or - WD40 the piss out of it!

Where it's not designed for it, is pretty much just the interior, and I've used the hose there, too :) I think things, or something, ages and becomes effected over time.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any idea?

I would check the integrity of the wiring and the connectors on the knock sensor and crank position sensor, and apply dielectric grease to those connectors. I would also check the distributor base for cracks, especially around the screw holes.

I wash the underneath of my trucks often and frequently at the manual car wash. And sometimes when I have the trucks up on jacks, remove the wheels, sometimes the skid plates and front shield, and get under the truck with my 4k psi pressure washer, and wash EVERYTHING.

Half the time my engines are cleaner than my interiors..........o_O

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea?
Anything with an elactrical connection; sensors, ignition, computer, etc., theta is needing a signal will cause this issue. If is under the vehicle and the crank sensor is new and it didn't do it before, make sure the rubber boot on the plug (both wire side and terminal side) is still present and the plug fits tight.
If all plugs, connectors, weathpack accessories on said connectors, and sensors on under side look good. Start inspecting for a break in wire insulation.

TKerr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a 3500 psi pressure washer on the underside and in the engine compartment of my vehicles all the time. Never an issue. I also don't spray directly into or on sensors, computer, or alternator (usually cover alternator).
If you use common sense it is not an issue. The underside gets soak with road rain water and grime.