What causes a truck to shake at idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
if it hasnt occured again, dont worry about it, could be bad gas, could be a misfire randomly, or the computer had a hickup and changed the timing for a split second

fiream400

Reaction score
They shake when the intake gasket is letting loose as well. Hopefully that's not what your problem is.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm a nasty cam and solid motor mounts will do it for sure. How violent are we talking here? like it was shudder like it was about to die? Most likely some bad gas. try getting some of that crap to draw water out of the gas, helps if you are in a really cold area.

Ginger

Teh General
Reaction score
i had bad gas one time, that would actually make my truck stall when i came to a stop in reverse.

i would take the suggestion, put something in your tank, seafoam, water remover, octane booster or something

Reaction score
Also a small vacum leak can do that, at higher rpms it wont be noticed. Like said above it can an intake issue. I've always used carb cleaner on a cold engine while its runing. It should rev when it sucks in the carb cleaner. Help you in locating the leak.

willinthe985

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd also say a vacum leak, my booster has a nasty leak so when I'm sitting at a light the truck shakes like crazy and even dies sometimes.

1996 yukon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ahwsum powah!

mine does this as well. mine does have a ton of miles though.

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get some ac delco motor mounts it will help mine has 220000 and it would shake sometimes and the mounts fixed it

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine has an intermittent shake to it, but im pretty sure its transmission related. also when its idling in gear it feels like its trying to powerbrake. like im holding the brake but its trying to surge forward.