What’s happening with my dash trim?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I have this weird issue with my radio and AC control and dash kit where things look uneven. It’s as if the dash kit should rotate counter clockwise just a little bit. I took it off and played with the radio and AC control. It all looks right to me. Maybe it’s a crappy dash trim kit?

here are pics: https://imgur.com/a/efubJHw

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the a/c control clips still intact?

Guess that’s a Metra dash bezel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have something similar in my Tahoe. But don't think it's a kit per say. The radio is a double din but sits on top of the HVAC control. So if that is crooked, then the radio will be as well. If i remember I'll snap a pic....

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the a/c control clips still intact?

Guess that’s a Metra dash bezel?
Yes, they are, although they don't grab very well. I think the plastic clips have relaxed over time and they don't spring out as much as they used to. But they are there, and they do grab. The A/C control box itself sits on a shelf that is part of the dash, and as far as I can tell, there is no gap at all there. It is as far down as it can go. The radio is then sitting directly on top of that, at least on the right side. There may be a slight gap on the left, but not as bad as shown in the picture with the dash kit intact.

And yes! It's a Metra. Is there something better?

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have something similar in my Tahoe. But don't think it's a kit per say. The radio is a double din but sits on top of the HVAC control. So if that is crooked, then the radio will be as well. If i remember I'll snap a pic....
I don't think the HVAC control box is crooked. It goes right into position and locks in. I can't push it down or straighten it at all. It's a stock A/C control with obviously stock dash shelf so I'm not sure that is an issue...but I can't tell for sure.

ShaneM

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must be with the radio mount itself then....
Well, I can remove the radio mounting brackets from the radio and there is a little bit of adjustability there, but not a lot. I might need to Dremel out space to bring the bracket more down on the left side, bringing the radio up.

But the A/C controls being cut off at the top is also weird...I've seen it with others but it irks me. There is room to go down before hitting the CD pocket, but it will require a bit of material removal in the form of sanding or something, to reduce the height of the shelf that the AC control sits on.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Okay I’m not surprised. Any specific suggestions for what is good for the double din ?
Sadly I don't, I've never installed a double din radio before, only the single dins.